Poll: What about a AOL Instant Messenger server?

would it work if i used like version 3.0 or 4.0

how would you change the auth system

i know 4.x works at least, it looks like 3.5 crashes at parsing the service host listā€¦

4.1 and 4.2 crashed 4.8 works fine

at ā€œstarting servicesā€ i wager?

on 4.1 on starting servers it said it ran into a problem on 4.2 it just froze on 4.8 it worked good

i just accepted message from aim server administrator and i dont know whats happening its acting like a bot but i am confused

a far stretch from being a botā€¦ it just responds with something random from a list of phrases.

ughā€¦ 2.x and older AIM clients used a very different auth proceedure :confounded: I have at least been able to get it to authenticate and connect to the BOS server, so some little bit of progress.

update: itā€™s been several hoursā€¦ but I have finally gotten client 3.5 to at least authenticate and login. and I can send and receive messages, the buddy list is empty thoughā€¦ but IIRC at some point really old versions of the client didnā€™t support the buddy list being requested from the server.

more update: i can now login with ver. 2.1 as well, but they used a different hashing algorithm in the earlier versions for the password, so i had to bypass the authentication checkā€¦ now iā€™ll need to figure out what the algorithm is before it can be allowed to connectā€¦

Hey, good work @Wildman_Fujiami - glad someoneā€™s taken up the challenge!

Not that I want to add more work to your plate, but if thereā€™s anything you feel might be useful to document for future reference/other developers, thatā€™d be great. No worries if you already have your hands full though, I totally get that documentation is a drag, and that the code already takes up so much time, Iā€™d rather see the server working with no documentation than having no server at all :slight_smile:

Also, do you happen to have a link to the original code you found? Thanks!

I managed to sign in to the server with AIM 4.8 and it worked fine! I havenā€™t tested it by chatting to anybody yet, though. Good work on making this server! :slight_smile:

(My screen name is strangepigeon if anybody wants to chat)

i can connect to the development build with 3.5 and 2.1, but i havenā€™t been able to decode the hash values yet of the login encryption of 2.1, so i cant validate the passwordsā€¦

Could you atleast put up a tutorial on how to get it working with the clients and also put a thing like escargot where you can see whats supported and what isnt supported.

Aol i will make a server

i have problems with connecting on 4.8, i donā€™t know how to setup.
i did connect on pidgin through, but i donā€™t know what to doā€¦

HALP

on 4.8 it should be as simple as going into the setup window from the sign on dialog and changing the server url :neutral_face:

can you explain to me how to get AIM 2.1 to work so it will actually let me login in

i havenā€™t patched the live server yet, so the older versions are still broken, all that is left is for me to make sure there arenā€™t any regressions, so in a few moments.

if you get it working would you post how to patch it manually or will you leave a pre patched version to download

:confused: nobody but me has to patch anything, all the changes are server sideā€¦ except you need to change the server address in the settings panel of the client.

well you leave instructions on how to patch aim 2.1 manually