Escargot and YMSG (Yahoo! Messenger)

so we’re getting both WLM 2009 and YMSG 5 soon

fucking NEATO

Plus IRC. :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s also the much-announced cross-platform messaging, meaning MSN ↔ Yahoo! will be a thing, albeit unofficially, along with support for other different messaging platforms to talk to each other (AIM and MSN, Yahoo! and AIM, so on and so forth).

2 Likes

What will that irc do?
Is it some kind of relay?

What Y! versions will be supported?

Also, how will the IRC bridge work?

1 Like

Yahoo! Messenger 5.5 or any YMSG10-compliant client will be supported during intial deployment. Protocol versions after or before will be implemented later on.

As for the IRC frontend, it can’t let users have private conversations with users on networks outside of IRC, but it will let you access any public chats with your current account.

4 Likes

The current state of affairs for Yahoo! support on Escargot hasn’t changed that much. Just some general improvements of how presence and messaging are handled. However, just yesterday, I realized the Yahoo! Messenger configuration @ChetSimpson gave me (system.xml) disables Yahoo! Chat (this was around late 2012, when Yahoo! discontinued the service). While Yahoo! Chat works regardless on 5.5, it’s been noted that in later versions (I predict starting with 8.1) that Yahoo! Chat can be disabled. Adding on to the fact that this and Yahoo! Messenger’s other configurations are signed, that Chet basically betrayed us and his archival efforts on Yahoo! Messenger (along with his life choices), that finding archives of these configurations are hard enough as it is, and that it’s basically hard to find anyone else who cared about Yahoo! Messenger to the technical level to archive every nook and cranny of the service, that basically means we’re screwed and I’ll have to find a way to make the clients disregard the signature. Since that’s impossible for me to do and no one else who knows about Escargot is experienced enough to do that anyway, the only plausible solution would be to wait for someone who does have the proper configurations before Yahoo! started disabling Chat and whatever other nonsense they started disabling. Personally speaking, though, I doubt that day will ever come…

1 Like

iwarg.ddns.net/ymsg has a working server but it’s offline for yahoo and idk why. Worked pretty well with yahoo messenger 6

Don’t count on Wildman when it comes to reliability or wanting to care about the stability of his servers. I’ve experienced it and complained about it on his forums several times. He mainly insists on hosting stuff from his own servers through his ISP, and as for the stability part, on the Yahoo! server at least it’s him not giving a crud that much about fixing the nonsensical bugs that plague it.

2 Likes

Is Y² still running? I haven’t checked in a while.

yes

Ok, just a little opinion around here. So can we expect a basic usage in the near future?

For Wildman, not so sure tbh. It’ll probably still be quirky as it is now. :stuck_out_tongue:

but how do I download yahoo messenger on escargot help me :frowning:

The Yahoo! frontend isn’t available on Escargot servers yet, so we don’t offer downloads for them at the moment. Version 5.5 is available on oldversion.com if you want to test it though.

1 Like

yahoo messenger 5.5 on oldvercion.com not found :frowning:

1 Like

here’s a yahoo 5.5 download

nope no found :confused:

are you sure?

oh thanks :slight_smile: but better use version 6.0 https://iwarg.ddns.net/ymsg/

there are new updates i’m waiting for yahoo messenger to come out :smiley: