Creating your own WLM '09 server the updated way

Can you give us a tutorial for setting the server up on Hamachi? Would be quite helpful for the thread.

3 Likes

I actually got Hamachi to work, it was really easy to make it working

yeah all you really need to do afaik is to join a network with someone else and then another person has to do the hosts thing to get wlm to work.

im gonna made a mini thread in this thread to explain how to make it work, should be helpful since you need to modify Python files

How to make Hamachi work with your local MSN Server ?

FIRST PART

1. Download Hamachi and create a network :

SECOND PART

1. Download Brackets, Visual Studio Code, or use a program to modify files (i recommend Visual Studio Code)

2. Open the “msn-server-master” folder in VSC or Brackets (or the program you use)

3. Search (ON ALL THE FILES) “127.0.0.1” you should see this :

4. Replace “127.0.0.1” with your IPv4 Hamachi IP Address :

5. Click on the little “Replace All” button then click “Replace” :

FINAL PART

1. Then start your server with the python dev command

2. Once you did that command, it should make a certificate in the .devtls_cache folder

3. Install it as Trusted Root Certification Authorities

4. Tell your friends to join your Hamachi server

5. Give them the certificate to install and the text to enter in the hosts file (for the hosts file text modify 127.0.0.1 to your Hamachi IP Adress ! Its important, if you don’t do that, it won’t work)

6. And enjoy WLM 2009 with your friends !

6 Likes

Marda, when you said to use the command as said on the tutorial. What command are you relating to? What command to use? User.py?

Nvm, i found the command and the command that anyone does to know is: python run_all.py
I found at the First msn 2009 localhost post.

Uh, I think the command you’re looking for is python dev (directly launching run_all causes the HTTP services needed to get WLM 2009 to log on to get hosted on a non-standard port).

Also make sure to comment out the HOSTS entries when you’re done testing. Like I have to stress that enough already.

Oh. Thanks anyways :stuck_out_tongue:

I think that in order to avoid many problems with setting up the server you need to write a tutorial :thinking:

This is a tutorial. It’s just that it isn’t the most clear on certain things, and that some people who follow it have no idea how to configure the server settings or understand the risks some parts of configuration have (see the HOSTS lines). If people are that confused on how to set the server up and don’t understand the risks this current method has, they might as well not do it at all.

2 Likes

i think this bad:/

Is there any way to call people on this WLM 09 server?

If you mean voice calls, then no it’ll still have the same issues and exceptions. Also note just because you have your own Escargot server doesn’t mean you’ll be able to use it with the public instance to talk to people there. You’d think that with people jumping on the source code as soon as they were aware of it that they’d know it doesn’t automatically connect with the “official” Escargot servers.

oh im dumbass i need to use cmd

1 Like

this man legit tried to run a cd command in a python shell i’m done

4 Likes

:man_facepalming:

ok so new problem, when i double click on the certificate in C:\.devtls_cache, it errors out with thisimage

jesus im so fucking retarded it was in the msn-server folder