Windows xp WI-FI error: Can be written as 5 or 13 ASCII characters, or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters

Hello guys!

After auto-solving my post about Please, help me to connect to internet in Windows xp by WI-FI connection, an other error ocurred.

I’ll explain this step by step:

-first, to get rid of an certificate authentication error I went to: Start > Control Panel > Network Connections

-Then I i right clicked in wireless network connections and selected properties

-Then I went to the Wireless Network Connections menu

-Then I selected my own Wireless Network Connection and clicked properties

-Then I went to authentication and disabled the IEEE 802.1X authentication in the network

-Then in the association menu I disabled the box: The network password will be automatically provided to me

Ok, thats all what I did, but then, the computer told me to enter my network password, I had entered the key correctly… But… An unexpected error occurred.

The error says: the network password must be 40 bit or 104 bit depending on your network configuration. Can be written as 5 or 13 ASCII characters, or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters

Could you please provide screenshots? That would help us quite a lot.

Yeah, but you should know spanish 'cause my Windows xp is in Spanish language

Yet you described me the problem in English… What’s your point?

I am very good translating things to English, but the Computer is in spanish

Did you describe the problem in Spanish? No, so you can’t just say “you should know spanish cuz my XP is in Spanish” if the problem wasn’t described in Spanish. That sounds extremely selfish of you.

Sorry, if you want I can pass the images to you, but let you know that … Well, I think we have already gone through this.

That’s just like saying “Yeah, but you should know Spanish cuz my main language is Spanish”. See how stupid and inconsiderate that sounds?

Uh… anyway, here you have the image of the error

:

The error just says what I said before: the network password must be 40 bit or 104 bit depending on your network configuration. Can be written as 5 or 13 ASCII characters, or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters

This error means you’re trying to connect on WEP, which I doubt is protocol you’re using on the router/access point (likely is set to use WPA2).

I know you’re using SP2 and there’s an update for WPA2, but I expect you’ve already installed that (if not, do so). XP SP3 (is there a reason you’re not using SP3?) supports WPA2.

Also, the driver needs to have support for it. Given the 2011 age of the adapter, I would assume it already does though.

@TReKiE I’ve got SP3