Tinkering with MSN Explorer - #1

From what I can guess it was for adding a Kids Passport to MSN Explorer (Kids Passport was Microsoft’s attempt at letting people under 13 legally create an account while bending down to COPPA at the same time).

I found this video the other day while i was board on YouTube. I’m gonna look for another one that i saw earlier that was a concept video, way before its time if you ask me (Concept video is)

1 Like

wow, i… i no have words about this

nostalgia!!!

(Now with IntelliSpeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!)

1 Like

okay, idk if it’s helpful but i’m actually at the login screen for MSN explorer and it wants me to login, login guest and stuff. I also was able to look at some of the .mar files by changing them to .txt files and saw some interesting stuff (I guess). Idk if you’ve already gotten here and if this is just repeated stuff, but i feel like there is a way to trick the login to logging in as a guest somehow, but idk how. If you want a download version of mine i can upload it, and i can also tell you how to get to the login screen. (my version is old, but seemed to download and not time out like other installers, this also works for windows xp).

I also now have a logon log file in the directory of the application and it gives me info like session id, account email, and some others. just a quick update i found.

update2: when i open the application it wants me to accept some certificates, and one is names enhanced key usage which says client Auth. and server Auth and some numbers after them. also it shows me the dns servers used for the program as well.

Update3: also when i opened a .mar in a .txt format, it said that it was written in JavaScript, i think.

i think you have MSN 6

yeah, i think i might. If i do, we could possibly see if there is a way to access the main ui via some reverse engineering (possibly), due to it being older. But would that be an issue?, if so could we redirect it to somewhere else to where it’d think it’s connected to MSN and we could then mess with it? (will continue in a bit)

Since it uses an older architecture and older code, wouldn’t it be slightly easier to work with? I know that it relies on the MSN server, but I’m pretty sure (like stated in my earlier post) possibly remake the MSN website (?), but to work with Escargot? Since it’s an older version as well, it’d also support older systems too, so they could also use the explorer software. I could find/use a program to see where the explorer tries to access and maybe i could use the terminal or another computer to emulate the connect? Idk.

did you try IDA or Binary Ninja I heard they are pretty good

or if you know where to search you could also try IDA Pro :slight_smile:

I haven’t gotten the hang of IDA, but last time I needed that I was wanting to decompile functions for reverse engineering, but I’ll look into Binary Ninja.

Also from what I’ve heard IDA Pro is hard to find cracked anyway, so I’m not interested in doing that. :stuck_out_tongue:

>hard to find
>got sent a link in a discord the other day

ok say what you want

1 Like

desktop_screen_shot

found this while looking through windows folders. IDK if it’s MSN explorer, but it kinda looks like it. possibly a beta version(?), cause there are old screenshots in here and some are called beta. But it could just be the MSN website from days past?, idk. Might make a folder with all the pics in it for people to use? Also what’s ASP .Net?

i am only seeing
internet explorer
windows explorer
microsoft paint

like i said, it could’ve been a beta, idk tbh. just saw it while looking through my system files. also found this nostalgic gif as well. dialup

maybe because this is windows whistler , that is xp’s beta

maybe? there is a lot more screenshots that i’ve found. it could also be images from the tour program as well, to use as a demonstration? I’m gonna look at the tour software really quickly to see.
Nope, didn’t see that image at all in the tour, either i’m blind, or they didn’t use it and left it out.

For years I thought it was not by Microsoft and I thought it was a virus too… :stuck_out_tongue: I was only a 4 years old kiddo xD

am :slight_smile: MEGA

right maybe its hard to find on the usual way :slight_smile:

BTW: IDA and Binary Ninja are a dissasemblers which means you will need to know some asembly

I feel like we’re slowly getting closer to getting a Escargot MSN Explorer application up and running. Also when a beta version of the explorer comes out, i’d love to test and stress it or something. You know be useful :confused:?

Very small update: So i have an offline installer that doesn’t require an internet connection to install, and if you want my version just ask and i’ll upload it. The last windows xp version requires an online connection, which it can’t make sadly, so i can’t get the lastest version to try to install.