Note (2017-08-04): The Plus! server, which is still used for storage and retrieval of sounds has been down for the past few weeks, I intend on replacing these missing components on my own if it does not return. In the past, the server has been down for a while and brought back, so we will see.
I have patched Messenger Plus! 3 so the sounds feature can be fully used again. All contacts will need to install the patch for them to both receive and send sounds.
- Download and run the automatic install tool
- Verify the install location is correct for your install of Messenger Plus! 3
- Click Install
- Messenger should pop back up in a few seconds
- Sign in and send some sounds
If you have Messenger or Plus! installed in a non-standard place, you’ll need to restart them manually or just reboot.
This is a quick installer I put together which is a re-package of all the files of Plus! 3.63.148 instead of a real patch utility. If you have a different version installed, it will be replaced with this version.
- Verify you are using Messenger Plus! 3 version 3.63.148 (if might work with other versions but I haven’t tested). You can download the 3.63.148 version if needed
- Shut down msnmsgr.exe and MsgPlus.exe if they’re running
- Download the patched MsgPlusH.dll and overwrite the existing DLL in your MsgPlus! 3 folder (Program Files or Program Files (x86)\MessengerPlus! 3)
- Restart MsgPlus.exe in the MsgPlus! 3 folder and run MSN Messenger
- Sign-in and send some sounds
If you prefer to patch your own MsgPlusH.dll, you need to replace:
and to get the ‘Get more sounds…’ link to work, replace
As you’ll note above I did end up needing to do some minor server-side work to get the sounds to redirect properly.