Messenger Flash Reviver

FlashReviv_128
Version: 1.0.0.0
SHA-1: 23098BE0BD0F63E50F9FEFF8F1694363142EF1A9

With the immediate demise of Adobe Flash, Messenger Flash Reviver restores the Flash-enabled features (winks, dynamic display pictures) of all versions of Windows Live Messenger and MSN Messenger by installing a portable version of Flash and then modifying Messenger to use it.

How to use

• Download and run Messenger Flash Reviver
  • The Windows Live Messenger or MSN Messenger executable file will be automatically detected, or alternatively, you can select the location of the file in any Messenger installation
  • Press the Start button
  • Messenger will be Flash revived, and then restarted for use

MessengerFlashReviver_2020-12-30_15-55-39

Requirements

• Any version of MSN Messenger or Windows Live Messenger, in any language
  • Any version of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10

Features

• Optional automatic backup of modified file
  • Optional restart of Messenger
  • Full logging
  • Command line parameters
  • Silly little easter egg
  • UI available in English, Spanish, French, Hungarian, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian and Greek

Command Line Parameters

Parameters
Parameter Meaning
/run Automatically starts reviving
/exe [PathToExe] Sets the path to the Messenger executable file
/nobackup Disables making a backup of the file before reviving
/nomsgrstart Disables Messenger from being restarted
/norestartwin If files are not modifiable, prevents Windows from being restarted to complete reviving (automatic Windows restart feature triggered by /run)
/? or /help Shows this helpful table

Errors return errorlevels -2 through -10, successes return 0 or 2, view errorlevel documentation.

For more information, see the blog topic.

13 Likes

jonathan went very instantly making a flash reviver

3 Likes

Thank you Jon ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

good job :wink:
it should be build into patched setup imo, some pcs already had FP uninstalled

1 Like

yeah escargot probably don’t want that. for some reasons

bonjours, et bien moi cela ne fonctionne pas, code erreur80072ee7

L’erreur 80072ee7 signifie que Messenger ne peut pas trouver l’adresse IP du serveur. Ce logiciel n’affectera pas la connexion ou les composants réseau de Messenger.

Hey trekie, I really love that reviver! I knew you would make something like this after flash’s end!

1 Like

Messenger winks and the Windows XP tour are the only reasons I like flash. Other than those, Flash was an accessibility nightmare! I’m very thankful for the new Flash Reviver tool; I thought winks would be dead forever! The tool is awesome with screen readers, too!

1 Like

Me: wait its all french and english?
TReKiE: always has been

2 Likes

THX

1 Like

Uhh I cant get past it. After downloading it just says file removed even after disabling anti-virus.

Thanks for letting me know. It looks like I need to do another pass of false positive reports, but it would be helpful to know which antivirus you are using? It seems to be passing Windows Defender at least.

I managed to fix it but im getting either error 8004882a or 80072ee7 in messenger. Help me!

I am using avast

Thanks, Avast’s engine appears to be passing it okay, but it might be heuristics in the software.

Anyway, those error codes are both related to connectivity, and shouldn’t be related to Flash loading. Specifically, the 8004882a means something unexpected was received during authentication, and the 80072ee7 is a “can’t connect” error (although usually a problem with DNS). Was this working before, or are you a new user?

Kind of unrelated, but as I saw this thread it came to my mind: could similar be done for Encarta? I’d like to play the games in Encarta 2009, but unfortunately they require Flash.

1 Like

This flash thing is only for msn messenger

I know, I was just asking if a similar thing could be optimised for Encarta.