I found a kid in Windows ME!

ME is cool :stuck_out_tongue:
I think the issue was just driver model changes that devs didnt actually look at

Yeah, I used ME for a week a while back and It ran smooth on a Pentium 3 processor from an BM workStation. It never crashed besIdes the desktop which i just restarted by pressing the reset active desktop button on it. I also used Vista for a year when my Pc died due to a old GPU and i didn’t have any on hand. It had 3Gb of ram (I think…) and it ran on integrated graphics for a while till i got a HD 5450 from a friends who didn’t use it. It was nice, it ran firefox well, i could play old games that didn’t work on newer os (Fallout 3 & NV). Overall they both weren’t bad just needed some attention to make things better, like Vista SP2 which made it really good. Overall i like them, and if i want a retro/early 2000’s gaming pc… i’d probably use Vista instead of xp sadly but probably in a dual boot to switch between if one runs better in xp or in vista.

Dual boot of XP and Vista? Never thought that could be a thing…

It is

It should be possible. I will try to use the BCBoot method vid the admin terminal in vista to add the windows xp ver, but if that doesn’t work… I could try to use EasyBCD as a back up (last time i used that… it screwed up my computer, be careful (pretty sure it was a bug)). Over i think it’d work. I could also just get a 700Gb HHD and do a multi os boot which is tricky, but i could then install XP for older games, vista just for the heck of it, windows 7 for stability if windows 10 doesn’t work with it, and finally Windows 10 for the latest games that i buy/get. Just an idea as of right jow since i have no money. probably a college project later on. Actually the multi-boot really wouldn’t work with vista and xp since they’re out of driver support now.

I don’t see why it would require more than a simple partition on the drive and install whatever you want in that partition. I do that with my PC to run lubuntu, Vista, and 7 on the same PC.

1 Like

same, i just install the other system in a separate partition and boom, it works

yeah, i maked dual- boot with vista

in my opinion Win ME is a great OS, likes a Windows Vista of 2000’s, have good advances but some bugs, but i n a general vision it’s a very great OS helping in developing of Windows XP

1 Like

yep that’s a good way to put it :slight_smile:

anyhow: it’s a shame vista barely held out for half a year before everyone gave it the middle finger

1 Like

Me

i used vista for some time, the real problem is the icompatibility with newest driver

yep. MS gave them a ton of time for drivers and not many devs properly bothered

that and the high sysreq of the time

sure

welp, without Vista we wouldn’t have had windows 7. Also it’s sad because Vista’s death was caused by Devs that didn’t care about trying to make proper drivers, and it’s kinda due to the fact that people couldn’t use it since they didn’t have 1 Gb of ram to experience a good Os at the time.

2 Likes

I remember using Windows Vista, it wasn’t that bad after the service pack, but i was using brand new hardware, i guess this was the main factor of the Windows Vista experience, older hardware wouldn’t have the proper drivers nor the power required to run it smoothly.

yep you got it. The Service pack was the savior of Vista. I hope steam will let us access its service even though they’re stopping support, cause i don’t want to buy my retro game library all over again through GOG. I’m gonna try and read up on that if possible. I want to do a ultimate vista gaming pc sometime since i like vista.

1 Like

Well then grab some Rum ‘n sail away ‘n come back wit’ th’ loot

I don’t have any free hard drives to load up with my steam My dad only gives me small hard drives to use 10-40 Gb hard drives and my retro games would fill it up slowly but surely, but IDK if Steam Offline mode would allow me to play the games after they shut it down, cause they’re cutting us entirely off if we run xp or vista, which means no Fallout 3 for me.

haha you didn’t got what i meant.