Escargot and YMSG (Yahoo! Messenger)

We’ve been through this on MSN. :expressionless:

When I have everything complete and finalized, I’ll publish what I have to the GitLab and then you can test it from there.

Great! Congratulations

1 Like

UPDATE 7

I got basic messaging to work! Even buzzing works! :smiley:

I do, however, need to get typing notifications to work. I already have that set up, but when sending a typing notification to someone server-side, it doesn’t seem to have any effect. I’m trying to fiddle around with the packet data to see what sticks. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Oh yeah I also need to get Yahoo! Messenger conferences done with too)

2 Likes

UPDATE 8

While trying to figure out Yahoo! Messenger conference implementation, I had decided to implement file transfer first. But then, this happened:

Yahoo! Messenger file transfer utilizes HTTP after negotiation has been done via YMSG. I am unsure why this dialog appears, as if Yahoo! Messenger wanted to connect to the file transfer server, it would need no obligation to. I also hope this isn’t some weird connection problem thing. :confused:

UPDATE 8.5

After some thought, I have realized that Yahoo! Messenger tries to utilize the HTTP port for file transfer itself, and the Escargot server utilizes port 80 already, so it can’t use that port. I’ll see if using port 8080 on the server-side will help. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: No it didn’t. :confused:

UPDATE 9

So two things:

From some further discovery, Yahoo! Messenger apparently uses P2P for file transfer, which I find interesting.

Also, got typing notifs to work! :smiley:

yahoo%20typing%20notifs

Now I can rest in peace (and get conferencing out of the way). :stuck_out_tongue:

nice work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

when or we can download it :stuck_out_tongue: ?

For future reference, the server is compatible with Yahoo! Messenger 5.5 right now. You can find that, along with other versions of Yahoo! Messenger, here: Download Old Versions of Yahoo Messenger for Windows - OldVersion.com. Then when the server is final and live, you can download and patch as needed. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Just note that there is a weird bug with 5.5 when run on WIndows 7 where it freezes after a successful login. It may just be me, but be wary).

ok :stuck_out_tongue: perfect good job and good luck :PPP

1 Like

what yahoo i have to download ;-;

I’d recommend Yahoo! Messenger 5.5.1237, since that is the build that I am certain will install on modern operating systems (older Yahoo! Messenger versions will most likely use a 16-bit installer, so unless you have a 32-bit OS installed, no good in that :stuck_out_tongue:).

oke thanks :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You’re welcome. :stuck_out_tongue:

I sign in with my Escargot account ?

I plan to make it so Yahoo! accounts and MSN accounts in the Escargot database are separate. So you’d have to create a Yahoo! ID specifically for Yahoo! use.

Also, I think you may be confused with something.

The Yahoo! server is a work in progress, and is not live yet. Especially since the protocol that powers Yahoo! Messenger has very little documentation, which makes server-side implementation all the more lengthy. But don’t worry, after I get conferencing and fixes done with, the server will hopefully go live. :slight_smile:

so i can’t login in :frowning:

Technically, no, since the server doesn’t exist yet. Just hang in tight, though. This rollercoaster ride will end soon. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

ok :stuck_out_tongue: thanks ^-^

1 Like