Creating your own WLM '09 server the updated way

look it up, and setup the server using the insctructions

I had some success today, and two very excited homestay family kids! The 9 year old can type quite well already, and figured out how to change her font, while the 6 year old keeps sending me nudges and dancing pigs. It’s great to have a local server with no minimum age limit (unlike Facebook, GMail, etc) and no risk of creepy friend requests.

I used HostsFileEditor to create the hosts file instead of Notepad. I also only had success with the following clients: unpatched WLM 8.5 on Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, Windows Tiny7 32-bit, and Windows 10 Professional 64-bit. I also needed to install the certificates, and it looks like I’ll need to do that every 30 days (is there a way to make a longer-lasting certificate? I guess it’s in the Python code.)

More important though: I haven’t yet got it to work with Windows XP Pro SP3. I copied the hosts file verbatim and confirmed that it works by using Chrome to access messenger.hotmail.com, which resolves to 192.168.1.23 and gives “405: Method Not Allowed”. But I still get the following error from WLM: “We were unable to sign you into Windows Live Messenger at the time. Please try again later… Error code: 80048862”. My guess is that there’s a problem with the TLS certificate and SSL settings, but I tried in Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced > Use SSL 2.0/Use SSL 3.0/Use TLS 1.0 enabled and disabled, with no difference, I still can’t connect.

I’d really like to get it working with XP as a client, because that releases another 3 old computers that can be clients.

5 Likes

the way to get the whole family together.

1 Like

How I search for System variables

You need to run: Visual C++ 2015 x86 arm cross Build Tools Command Prompt

" You can now run python dev through Command Prompt( not Git bash ) to run the server. A cerfiticate will be generated the first time the command is run ( located in .devtls_cache\DO_NOT_TRUST_DevTLS_Escargot.crt ).
Install it to the Trusted Root Certification Authorities as shown below:

[/quote] "

I can’t go in this part, plz help me plz???
plz???

it says me this error help

i added python to path and git for windows says me this

You need to run the command without the winpty part in a command prompt (you need to cd to the msn-server-master folder)

help plz

1 Like

i get the same error in git bash

Then run python script/user.py emailhere@service.com to create a user. After you run the command, insert the password needed for the user( the password will stay invisible as you type ).

I run the command and it hangs

1 Like

you need to run the command in command prompt not git bash

2 Likes

I get an error that says this
$ python -m pip install -r requirements.txt
Collecting git+https://gitlab.com/valtron/sqlaltery.git@0.1.0 (from -r requirements.txt (line 10))
Cloning valtron / sqlaltery · GitLab (to revision 0.1.0) to c:\users\admini~1\appdata\local\temp\pip-req-build-zdu1cz9k
Did not find branch or tag ‘0.1.0’, assuming revision or ref.
error: pathspec ‘0.1.0’ did not match any file(s) known to git
Command “git checkout -q 0.1.0” failed with error code 1 in C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-req-build-zdu1cz9k
You are using pip version 18.1, however version 20.2b1 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the ‘python -m pip install --upgrade pip’ command.

I also accidentally removed something from path but i did add the server to path.

2 Likes

You can now run python dev through Command Prompt( not Git bash ) to run the server.

heelp (i wanted to send this yesterday but stupid 3 msg limitation stopped me)

1 Like

node.js has a separate command prompt. Search node.js command prompt and use that one instead. it should work.

1 Like

How is node.js related to all of this if msn-server was written in python?

2 Likes

We’re running python thru it ig.

1 Like

Is anyone gonna answer my question, i really wanna try this out

1 Like

Edit requirements.txt the line:
git+https://gitlab.com/valtron/sqlaltery.git@0.1.0
To:
git+https://gitlab.com/valtron/sqlaltery.git@v0.1.0

Valtron renamed the branches

1 Like