Can't sign into MSN Messenger / WL Messenger?

Problem description: When I try to log in to MSN Messenger or Windows Live Messenger, it tells me my password is incorrect when it is not (I have changed it several times and verified I am typing it correctly)

Error code/error message:

"Sorry, we could not sign you in due to one or more of the following:

• the sign-in name does not exist
  • the password is incorrect
  • the Passport service is temporarily unavailable

If you have forgotten your password, please click Help in the main Messenger window, and then click Help Topics for instructions on resetting your password."

What has been tried so far: Updating to 7.5, updating to 8.5, uninstalling EVERYTHING including Windows Messenger from “Add and Remove Windows Features” and trying again from scratch, repeatedly changing my password.

Messenger version: 5.0, 7.5, 8.5

Windows version: Microsoft Windows XP

WLM 8.5 does NOT work on Windows XP.

This should help.

It works but im still finding workarounds for 8.5 on XP :slight_smile:

OK, done the TLS config (didn’t need to do this on my other XP box, who knows why) and tested it with IE - “cannot find server or DNS error” so I should be good to connect. Messenger 5.0 still saying incorrect password so I’ll change it one last time and report back :grin:

…hmm, nope. Still saying that my login details are incorrect or [Escargot] is down. Tried 5 times, and I know I’m typing it right. Any other ideas?

Updated to 7.5: error code is 80048821. Password is OK.

log mutiple times

so just keep trying? i’ve probably tried to log in 15-20 times by now with no change, but ok. thanks :smile: