[Archive] After a year of being puzzled, we've finally got the WLM 2009 problem solved!

I have 2 8.1 laptops so I might try it ig?

It’s fine. I imagine 8.x would go one way or the other and with the bug fix it’d probably be unaffected either way, so testing the new patch on Vista would probably help a long way. Also the new stuff is still source only and WIP and I don’t want to exactly go through the headache of guiding people on how to set the stuff up right now.

Just got to testing the new patches with WLM 2009 on my Vista laptop and it crashed on there too. So this isn’t an isolated issue and I’ll have to seriously look into what’s going on.

ok good luck

Can you release a beta of the patch?

1 Like

the OhHelloThere god is typing :flushed:

I don’t intend to as the patch itself is a DLL and the current method of applying it isn’t very user-friendly (it’s meant to be installed alongside the rest of a client’s files). I’d rather have available developers figure out what’s going on than confuse average users.

3 Likes

It’d be cool if we got screenshots, like mega cool

I understand, but don’t you think it would be a good idea to have beta testers? I introduce myself as such.

3 Likes

I understand where you’re coming from, but I already have someone who can investigate the issue and as I said before they haven’t gotten around to actually debugging it yet due to other (more important) things getting in their way. The issue requires more of a solution than evaluating how common bugs are in the patch, so I doubt getting people to test it alone would work (besides I already stated I tested it on an actual machine and the patch crashed MSN like it did on the VMs, so that should be enough of a test IMO). In this case I’d theoretically ask for beta testers if things were super dire, but then again with the nature of the bug that’s highly unlikely.

The patch is more of a silent hook-type solution that injects itself into the program and only controls system calls to internet functions and anything related to the program that’s necessary to hook, so I can’t really provide “screenshots” other than the clients themselves running. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I understand…
but, can you tell us a hypothetical release date?

If I really had to guess, I’d say around spring to early summer, but take that with a grain of salt. Also in the end, many factors go into our current ongoing release and you shouldn’t have super high expectations on when it’ll come out right now.

4 Likes

Thanks for the information, I hope everything goes well for you

Thanks. It’s been a 3-year struggle but it’s always worth it if people like you and us, the developers, are happy. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I know that 3 years of hard work leaves a crew of developers very tired, but I hope that after the next versions they will be much easier to do than 2009.

The actual work didn’t start until 2 years ago. Before then we were stuck on how to even get WLM 2009 to connect, but that was from general incompetence on our part assuming using only its installation file would magically work. Also the reason this has even been held back as much as it has is because at that point I was the only active developer at the time and a mix of assumptions, lack of sufficient protocol documentation for MSNP18 to work with, and not exactly handling times when I hit a roadblock too well on my part (I almost held back releasing WLM 2009 and started work on WLM 2011/2012 support just because I couldn’t get Circles working…) kind of held back plans to release it in 2018/2019. There was also me assuming valtron would be able to help with the more nitty gritty like client patches but only recently did I find out he’s in a bit of a predicament with a full time job he has now that’s eating up most of his time so it’s up to me and @TReKiE to pretty much make up for lost time (TReKiE didn’t even join the team up until a couple months ago).

In general I could’ve handled a lot of things better with WLM 2009 support, with not making up release dates when I thought things were going smooth only to find out I had to squish another bug for one, but when I started I had only been in Escargot’s development team for a year and I had just picked up coding again. I was also pretty ambitious when I found out WLM 2009 would actually work and wanted to get support for it off the ground. I’m lucky support has even gotten this far. For all I know it could’ve been canned for good or not exist at all and we’d all assume WLM 2009 was this unpatchable beast we couldn’t wrap our heads around. For now though I’m just rolling along with what we have so far and hope to make this release the best it can be. :smile:

9 Likes

Then Get Goin on that and good luck

1 Like

Oh, I understand that it is a titanic job, I do not want to rush you or @TReKiE, I wish you the best of luck.

1 Like

Nobody wants to rush TReKiE or OhHello, They’re great developers and need time to roll out a functioning client.

1 Like

You know what I mean