Working GTalk Windows App Discovered

1. If you want to use the third-party Google Talk service that has been left for dead, but still usable, you have to log in with a Gmail account regardless.

2. Never in my life have I seen any service send a confirmation email with your cleartext password embedded inside it. Not only is it unnecessary, but since that is passed onto the server after registration, who knows what their infrastructure is like? Possibly storing your password cleartext inside the database or some sort of separate file containing passwords from people who have registered accounts on their site. :S

2 Likes

Whatever the case may be, it’s such an awful practice that it just makes the whole thing look like a joke made by idiots. They have your email now and probably the same password you use with that same email address on other sites if one isn’t careful to use the same password.

This used to be more common practice way back then but even at the time it was never a good idea.

1 Like

The old protocol files on pidgin uses the google hangouts servers now. the old servers are not online anymore.

Never had I said that the OP found Pidgin to be compatible with the old Google Talk servers.

Also, from what I can understand, the old Google Talk servers aren’t accessible by normal means (in terms of protocol). I guess Talkonaut circumvents this. :stuck_out_tongue:

what i’m saying is google hangouts can run google talk doesn’t matter that the old servers get used.
xmpp not needed

it shouldn’t of, the only way to access the public.googletalk XMPP servers require you to disable OAuth-only Authentication, or else you will get “Not Allowed” error if you connect, or if you have 2FA on, you can use a App Password… which actually will let you access the XMPP for Google Talk.

They are.
I just like the old client :stuck_out_tongue:

Awful, awful bump, but this shit still works, even in pidgin, you just have to enabled access for “less secure apps” in google account settings. Post your emails here if anyone wants me to add them.

1 Like

Third bump. :stuck_out_tongue:
Downloaded Talkonaut, signed in with gmail, and…

Yay2

nice.

1 Like

egy.kenyer.101@gmail.com (really stupid name i came up with because i didn’t feel safe using my main gmail :stuck_out_tongue:)

it wont work, it says invalid account (my gmail account joined in 2016

oh it worked