WLM crashes when attempting to send e-mail or view my Inbox

I’d prefer to access newsgroups without being required to use an actual email address, which NNTP-based clients let you do without fail, and without a web browser.

this
mail can you shut up there is nothing wrong

it’s not hard to find newsgroups. there are lots of them out there. Maybe not from isp. newsgroups are still around in the whole world, even on United States of America (USA) Soil. by complaining about not being able to find newsgroups you are just making the matter worse for yourself. just look harder and you should find the newsgroups. Mozilla Thunderbird mail client still has newsgroups in it to be configured. newsgroups has never died, it just got lower because of something called RSS Feed.

For the newsgroup service you offered, their free plan only allows for 2 megabits (250 kilobytes per sec., which will get annoying for a haul of Usenet posts that weigh more than that), 25 GB/s worth of downloading binaries (either gigabytes or gigabits, in which the latter is about 3.125 gigabytes, which isn’t a big deal, but I’m not planning to use Usenet for binaries anyway, so…), but no posting features? Posting would’ve been useful. :stuck_out_tongue:

As for the other public Usenet servers you offered, that’s not what I’m necessarily asking for. I was more or less looking for a service or ISP that offered all of the de facto Usenet boards (e.g., alt.*, comp.*, etc.) with no restrictions.

And I know that newsgroups haven’t died at all. Why would I be even asking if there were ISPs offering Usenet service, anyway? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Those were some choices to pick from, you don’t have to take them :slight_smile:
anyway, keep looking and you should find more than the ones i’ve given.

1 Like

Mine (centurylink) seems to still have a server, but i dont actually know my credentials so i cant connect to see if it works. Also does this work with windows live mail 2011?

Are you sure? If this reddit thread is accurate, it sounds like it’s gone.

Assuming it’s the same qwest host that’s mentioned there, you can do a quick check at the command line by doing telnet news.qwest.net 119 and telnet news.qwest.net 563 and seeing if it’s able to connect to either of these. You also will likely need to install the Windows telnet client.

There’s no reason it wouldn’t work with WLM if the server were still running though. I was a heavy newsgroup user and I did all my non-binary newsgroups in Live Mail (Windows Mail, Outlook Express, and Internet Mail and News prior to that).