WLM 8.5 crashes when I try to open a chat window

Problem description:
WLM 8.5 crashes when I double click on a contact in my list to open a chat window.
Error code/error message:
Generic Windows error, no code.
What has been tried so far:
Tried to reinstall, set compatibility with Windows XP SP3.
Messenger version:
WLM 8.5.
Windows version:
Windows 10

From Windows event log:

  • System

    • Provider

    [ Name] Application Error

    • EventID 1000

    [ Qualifiers] 0

    Level 2

    Task 100

    Keywords 0x80000000000000

    • TimeCreated

    [ SystemTime] 2018-02-24T13:19:39.205572200Z

    EventRecordID 2346

    Channel Application

    Computer ***********


  • EventData

    C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

try windows live messenger 8.1 or msn messenger 7.5

WLM 8.1 give me the same issue

MSN 7.5 can’t even login

that may be because you were trying to open a chat window with someone that was currently offline

Doesn’t crash for me in that case. I get the usual “Offline Messaging” dialog. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, currently I have no contacts online.
But, as said above, WLM should not crash.

I get this sometimes. It seems to happen when someone has capitals in there address that doesn’t get added to your address book when they send you a request. I’ve noticed that with these contacts they can still message you but when you click on their name it immediately crashes…

1 Like

That’s a pretty weird bug. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve had this happen 3 different times. I only every got one of those contacts to work because he told me to make sure his address had two different capitals in it and that fixed it right away.


Today I reinstalled WLM 8.5.
Previously I’ve added two random contacts found on this forum.
The first one is a real person, the second one is a bot (them both never seen online).
Now, when I click on the first one WLM doesn’t crash and a offline chatbox opens, instead when I click on the second one WLM crashes (despite of the adress has not capitals).

It seems to me a random bug.

Also when using 8.5 don’t set compatibility to windows xp sp3 cause 8.5 does not work on windows xp