Whats the point of reviving "old" software if the forum itself does not support old browsers?

:confused: i dont get what’s the point of reviving old software if the forum itself does not support old browsers/computers, not even ie11, would be a good thing if the forum looked like the microsoft one back in the messenger days, because there is no point in resuming old software if you cut support for old browsers in the forum, dont tell me that its old and unsecure bla bla bla because you are here to revive old software wich is old and “unsecure”, so where is the point of reviving an old software while discontinuing browsers wich were used when messenger was around? like ie 5 6 7 8 9 10 11.
my suggestion is to make the forum look like the old microsoft messenger support ones so they can work with old browsers.
its like being in a group wich restores old cars but you cant use the old cars you restored to get to that group and they tell you that the cars you restored are too old to be used to get to that group, Doesn’t make any sense. :frowning_face:
mabye im the first saying this.

2 Likes

Blame discourse, their whole interface requires JS and they are throwing incorrect JS code that IE sees as an error and prevents it from loading the rest of the JS code. And to even load the simplest interface you NEED IE 10 OR NEWER!

1 Like

You have to use Microsoft Edge which is better but this old one is out of date.

Att,
 Diego Melo
 Computer Technician • 23 years

Well, there’s no need… just use Microsoft Edge. because every time the incorrect code came, it cannot be fixed and will only use the new Microsoft Edge.

Att,
 Diego Melo

ik but my point is why i have to use a modern browser for the forum of an old software, would be nice if if i could use the forum from my windows 2000 machine with ie5

1 Like

Are you using Windows 2000? Can you send a photo about the version?

Att,
 Diego Melo

its windows 00 professional on a compaq armada m300

Press Windows + R, type winver, see which version and tell me.

Att,
 Diego Melo

He literally said windows 2000 professional, probably service pack 4 running is 6.

Fuck JavaScript.

1 Like

Yes he says. but browser his is not supported, which why needs to use Microsoft Edge; in this case, it is compatible with all operating systems.

Att,
 Diego Melo

Dude Edge doesn’t work on windows 2000.

and stop saying personal info…

he can use forum signs all he wants

5 Likes

There’s a missing key issue here. A forum is a web application, and like any public facing service on the internet, it is required to be kept up to date. Because if it’s not, the software gets exploited, data is stolen, or deleted, and is at the mercy of its attackers.

Not only that, but as something run personally by me and not a business, if I don’t do everything I can to protect your personal data, I could be held legally liable if I don’t do everything I can to protect your information.

And in some places, if you want to drive those classic cars on a public road, you need to “upgrade” it with modern engine components or switch to alternative fuels to meet the legal standards.

There really wasn’t one. Microsoft’s “forums” were on usenet newsgroups over the NNTP protocol (instead of HTTP), which would be accessed using a newsgroup client, such as Outlook Express or Windows Live Mail. There was a basic newsgroup web client, you can see a version of it in the web archive.

Of note, the Discourse team has committed to supporting reading via IE. It’s just logging in and posting that is no longer supported. Also, there is a full API available and if someone builds something on top to allow Discourse forums to operate via IE, NNTP, WAP, Gopher, or whatever else, I’d have no objection to installing it.

4 Likes

Do I need to stop? do not. I can say what I want. it is for lack of respect. Excuse.

Att,
 Diego Melo
1 Like

Thank you with all due respect, you are a friend.

Att,
 Diego Melo
1 Like

Shadow, you do realize that back in the day, forums had a “signature” function? That’s what the “Diego Melo” text is, a signature, even though Discourse doesn’t have that function.

1 Like

Understood sir. Yes, I always write this so I am a computer technician because it was a job subscription.

Att,
 Diego Melo
1 Like

oh…i never knew