What was your life experiences with Windows? (I do not mean VMs)

What were your life experiences with Windows? I’ll go first

Windows XP, the first version of windows I used.

I had used a Fujitsu Seimens Scaleo P that ran Windows XP Home edition. The PC was made in 2004. This had Microsoft Office 2007 installed, and as i was young, i would occasionally mess about in Office (Resulting in loads of experience using it), Paint and would play 3D Pinball. Though we had internet, I never actually used it. I eventually ended up finding my way into system32, …and yeh…

Windows 7:

I had started using Windows 7 in my first years of school, and my family would then upgrade to Windows 7 on a new Acer laptop. The laptop would unfortunately completely die the same week. The retailer (Which has since gone defunct) refused to accept returns or refunds. We would then go back to the XP computer for a few years.

Windows Server 2008 R2:

For some reason for most of the latter years of my primary school life, the school for some reason thought it was a good idea to install a server OS on client pcs…

Windows 95 (Technically):

After a few years of the family not having a PC, i would get given an Amazon Kindle Fire. The world’s growing need for the internet caused a big problem when I ended up getting permanently banned from my high school’s computers. Meaning If i didn’t do something, I would be screwed. So what did I do? Install and Run 95 and Office 97 on my Fire. Yes, it actually got me through my final exams.

Windows 10

When I would finally get my own computer, I got one (which i still use to this very day, even to make this pose) which came with and ran Windows 10. It used to handle anything i thrown at it, but things today are getting to advanced and it’s making the laptop show it’s age…

Windows 11

When 11 released, I would upgrade from 10. I had also tested 2 builds of Windows 11 while it was in development. The final version of Windows 11 (at the time) was unfortunately still too unstable, and would constantly blue screen. I went back to 10 and have not touched 11 as a daily driver since. I use it in my college though…

3 Likes

Windows 3.1
This was installed in the PC labs in my school. The OS was out of date, even at the time. A lot of the skills learned using those PCs were of course transferrable to later versions of Windows.

Windows 95
This was my first operating system. Favorite software: NHL '97, Oregon Trail, Encarta 98, AOL, Real player

Windows 98
Probably upgraded to Windows 98 within a year of getting my Windows 95 PC. Subsequent PCs had Windows 98 SE. I really loved the “Underwater” desktop theme. Favorite software: DOOM95 shareware, Amazon Trail, Yukon Trail, Infantry, Unreal Tournament

Windows 2000
I used this briefly between 98 and XP, but don’t recall it much.

Windows ME
Same as Windows 2000, except I remember it as an unpleasant experience. I do remember being impressed by the cool Windows Media Player visualizations.

Windows XP
I was very excited when I first got XP, having tried the leaked “Whistler” release before XP was released. Favorite software: Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, DOOM 3, Half Life, DirectConnect, Kazaa, uTorrent, AIM, MSN Messenger.

Windows Server 2003
Following a hot tip from a forum, I filled out some form on Microsoft.com and received a copy of Windows Server 2003 with 5 licenses and a Windows XP t-shirt for free. I ran Windows Server 2003 on a home server, complete with an overkill Active Directory/Group Policy setup for managing the computers on my LAN.

Between Windows XP and Windows 7 I used Ubuntu Linux exclusively for several years.

Windows 7/8
My interest in computers had waned during a ~5 year period when I used a couple different Windows 7/8 PCs just for basic web browsing and programming.

Windows 10
Some years later, I got the PC bug again, and installed Windows 10 for occasional gaming. Favorite games: Wolfenstein reboots, Counterstrike, DOOM source ports.

Having used Mac and Linux as my daily drivers for the past decade, my occasional foray into Windows feels jarring, like I am walking into a virtual Times Square with all the ads and unwelcome bloatware.

Overall, Windows XP is my favorite Windows OS. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

well its kinda a short list but here it is

WIndows 7
this was used on our school laptops until Chromebooks came and my parents and whole family used it on the family PC it had a lot of memories from playing Purple Palace to making random silly videos in Windows Movie Maker and i remember the amount of flash games i played
WIndows 10
it was 2020 and we got rid of the windows 7 PC nothing much happed
Windows 11
this one i hate as due to crappy software

Windows XP
I don’t recall that much of Windows XP only that I remember having dell optiplex but it got thrown out because my grandparents think that i’m going to get acid in my eyes because I was looking in my computer as a young kid

Windows vista
it was an ancient Windows Vista Samsung laptop or something I only remember dad that I didn’t like Vista at the time so I deleted system files and make windows unbootable so will it get downgraded to Windows XP and I had this laptop until I couldn’t turn on the laptop and I spilled some water on it and I think it was thrown away again

Windows 7
never had experience with this operating system until virtual machines I’m only remember that in one of classes there was a Windows 7 computer where it would have that one game that I never played it in my life ohh so I do not recall playing purple place :slightly_frowning_face:

Windows 8.x
I didn’t even know that Windows 8 existed???

Windows 10
classic 2015 windows 10 version oh yeah i have a nostalgia for that I remember that I got a Lenovo laptop with that old version of Windows 10 (i don’t know which version but still) remember the demo version of Minecraft for Windows 10 edition and that was fun until 30 minutes or something has ended and I couldn’t place or destroy blocks still it was fun!

Windows 11
fuck windows 11

fr windows 11 is terrible and buggy