W h y S o M a n y P r o t o c o l s?

Hi, and first of all sorry for my ignorance, but I don’t know what the **** they are or what are they for…
But WHY SO MANY? What’s the difference between MSNP11 and MSNP21???

Look! There’s three if them:

I only have one question:
Why?

As I’m sure you know already, a protocol is a communications language (a set of defined rules/vocabulary) for the client and server to exchange data. As more features are added to either client or server, a new version of the protocol is made to be able to exchange the data needed for these new features. Additionally, unneeded features can be dropped from the newer protocol versions while still retaining compatibility with the older versions/clients by simply asking what version of the protocol they want to use when they connect.

Which is why for Messenger each version of the protocol corresponds with a new version of the client.

This sort of concept is also used in frameworks and operating systems, for instance, Android has API levels (versions) which correspond to new features added in each Android version.

2 Likes

ooooohhh… Thanks for the info! :smiley:

trying to say that MSNP11 (2004 or something) and MSNP21 (2011-ish) is the same is trying to say that “Windows has not changed since XP”, or saying that “Visual Studio is just Visual Basic, there’s nothing new”

1 Like