Tinkering with MSN Explorer - #1

Since it uses an older architecture and older code, wouldn’t it be slightly easier to work with? I know that it relies on the MSN server, but I’m pretty sure (like stated in my earlier post) possibly remake the MSN website (?), but to work with Escargot? Since it’s an older version as well, it’d also support older systems too, so they could also use the explorer software. I could find/use a program to see where the explorer tries to access and maybe i could use the terminal or another computer to emulate the connect? Idk.

did you try IDA or Binary Ninja I heard they are pretty good

or if you know where to search you could also try IDA Pro :slight_smile:

I haven’t gotten the hang of IDA, but last time I needed that I was wanting to decompile functions for reverse engineering, but I’ll look into Binary Ninja.

Also from what I’ve heard IDA Pro is hard to find cracked anyway, so I’m not interested in doing that. :stuck_out_tongue:

>hard to find
>got sent a link in a discord the other day

ok say what you want

1 Like

desktop_screen_shot

found this while looking through windows folders. IDK if it’s MSN explorer, but it kinda looks like it. possibly a beta version(?), cause there are old screenshots in here and some are called beta. But it could just be the MSN website from days past?, idk. Might make a folder with all the pics in it for people to use? Also what’s ASP .Net?

i am only seeing
internet explorer
windows explorer
microsoft paint

like i said, it could’ve been a beta, idk tbh. just saw it while looking through my system files. also found this nostalgic gif as well. dialup

maybe because this is windows whistler , that is xp’s beta

maybe? there is a lot more screenshots that i’ve found. it could also be images from the tour program as well, to use as a demonstration? I’m gonna look at the tour software really quickly to see.
Nope, didn’t see that image at all in the tour, either i’m blind, or they didn’t use it and left it out.

For years I thought it was not by Microsoft and I thought it was a virus too… :stuck_out_tongue: I was only a 4 years old kiddo xD

am :slight_smile: MEGA

right maybe its hard to find on the usual way :slight_smile:

BTW: IDA and Binary Ninja are a dissasemblers which means you will need to know some asembly

I feel like we’re slowly getting closer to getting a Escargot MSN Explorer application up and running. Also when a beta version of the explorer comes out, i’d love to test and stress it or something. You know be useful :confused:?

Very small update: So i have an offline installer that doesn’t require an internet connection to install, and if you want my version just ask and i’ll upload it. The last windows xp version requires an online connection, which it can’t make sadly, so i can’t get the lastest version to try to install.

download for the offline installer: MSN Explorer offline installer.zip (5.7 MB)

WARNING It’ll try to connect to the service via Dial-up so just click no if it tries, Also it’ll open up a few processes which i close in the taskbar. 1:Messenger 2:Dial-Up service/connection 3:The program itself (don’t close when you want to try it and what not)

Just a heads up, it can’t connect to anything as of now, you can get to the msn sign-in screen by clicking “No i already have Internet Access”, then click “No” again. then click 'Yes",“No”, or “View Certificate” (Takes a bit for it to time out and say an error happened, it’s normal). After that, it’ll then say that it couldn’t connect, then if it says try again click 'No" and then you should be at the sign-in screen. That’s the application so far, it’s an outdated version but it supports all the way down to windows 98, so we could try it on different versions of windows to see if anything is different(?), IDK just bored at the moment, hopefully it helps someone.

Major update about this project.

I haven’t worked on it since the last time I posted an update on here, and speaking of which, I don’t plan to post updates here anymore due to the fact I’ve stopped coming on here publicly. I plan to work on the project when I feel like I can possibly progress with making it work, and from now on progress will be kept secret (or if the time comes, I post updates on a different forum/site). And to be honest, this project wasn’t even a MessengerGeek thing (almost all of my personal projects aren’t) and more of a passion project that I’ve attempted and bombed on and off for the past 3-4 years, so advertising this one on here so much won’t help me a lot with not attracting so much of the community to it. I hope everyone, avid watchers of this project or not, understands my decisions and moves on from this. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

for sure man i agree.

And good lucky you will need

It’s been… 84 years (actually 3, but for the meme 84)
well, if the project is still in development, or you’re posting updates on another platform, I’d be interested to know, and especially on which social network.
Thanks,
that MSN Messenger logo fat buddy :oldtongue:

OhHey isn’t developing Escargot anymore

That’s MSN Messenger, we are talking about MSN Explorer.

Yeah
OhHey wasn’t here for over 2 years, and he stopped developing Escargot and vanished in mid 2021

here is the server responsible for reviving msn explorer:MSN Revolutions
(the development will start soon after we will have more developers)