The Japanese internet

Has anyone on here lurked the Japanese part of the internet before? I really like their internet they seem to have the mindset of if it isn’t broke don’t fix it. Their Yahoo looks exactly like Yahoo 2005 and GeoCities Japan lasted up until very recently in 2019 and a lot of the modern memes in Japan especially on Nico Nico look like they were pulled right out of the days of the old internet.

1 Like

I remember lurking on Yahoo Japan and making a email address, sadly i lost it though :frowning:

1 Like

Make a new one. :wink:

Aight, will do soon (Dangit, I cant because my number format is from outside Japan.)

1 Like

I also heard that Yahoo in Japan had a boardband provider

1 Like

Interesting.

It is also kinda true that the Japanese invented internet culture as we know it today to a certain extent. We wouldn’t have a lot of our memes and internet culture today if it wasn’t for Ayashii World Amezou and 2channel all pioneering meme culture in the mid/late 90s and early 2000s and a lot of Japanese meme culture being spread to the west we wouldn’t have a lot of the stuff we have today.

True, if it wasnt thanks to 2channel and similar textboards, internet memes wouldnt be like it was nowadays

1 Like

Yes and the western internet culture during the 2000s was heavily influenced by Japanese internet culture.

This is what Japanese memes look like.

マツダダダダ天使 - ニコニコ動画

Very 2007-ish for a 2018 video LOL.

True

1 Like