Reset all MSN Settings

Hi does anyone know how do you reset all settings that MSN Messanger 7.5 stores

I’ve trued ti delete MSN folder in %appdata% and also registry entries in HKEY_LOCAL_Users_/Microsoft/MSNMessanger, but it (MSN) still holds my password

I would like to reset all the settings because I think it is caching certain url and it does not want to acsess it anymore for some reason

You’ve covered a lot of material here, settings, caches, all of these are in different places.

For 7.5, %appdata%\microsoft\MSN Messenger will contain your local store of emotions, winks, local contact list cache etc.

“Settings” are in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger, which I think you already found.
There’s more configuration to be found in HKLM but I don’t think that’s what you’re after.

For 7.5, everything else is stored in the “old IE” InetCache cache, the location of which is different per Windows version. In Windows 10, it’s found under %localappdata%\microsoft\windows\inetcache\low (folders and files here will be hidden by default).r

Later versions of Messenger have a local cache of Messenger resources is stored in the user temp folder under MessengerCache.

To remove your password/saved credentials, just click ‘Forget me’ in Messenger’s sign in screen (sign out if you’re signed in automatically).

on windows 7 %localappdata%\microsoft\windows\inetcache\low doesn’t exist
not sure how to identify MSN stuff in there (there are Temporary Internet Files (hidden) and WebCache (hidden) but no inetcache)

In Windows 7 you are looking for:
%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Identification is a whole other thing, some will be obvious, like the Messenger tab icons/resources, others are under .bin files (ex. display pictures, emoticons, etc). As your goal is to reset, after setting Explorer to show hidden files, and unhide protected operating system files, delete everything (other than desktop.ini and index.dat).

Thanks deleting the whole Content.IE5 helped and now it does not cache AppDirectory URL anymore

BTW Do you have some packet dumps from: http://appdirectory.messenger.msn.com/AppDirectory/AppDirectory.asmx I am trying to recreate that SOAP service but am not sure what it shuold return

MSN call it like this
POST http://appdirectory.messenger.msn.com/AppDirectory/AppDirectory.php HTTP/1.1
Accept: /
SOAPAction: “MSN
Content-Type: text/xml; charset=utf-8
Content-Length: 417
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/6.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; InfoPath.3; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; MSN Messenger 7.5.0324)
Host: appdirectory.messenger.msn.com
Connection: Keep-Alive
Pragma: no-cache
Cookie: PreferencesMsn=eyJFeHBpcnlUaW1lIjo2MzcwNzE3NDkzMjQ4Njc4NjQsIlZlcnNpb24iOjF90; marketPref=en-xl; _EDGE_V=1; _SS=SID=00; MUID=37F0F3E51631675B0462F857174366A5

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> en-US1-10