It seems iWarg is working on an AOL revival

wireshark may tell us some info why its disconnecting.

i get a new error on 5179. America Online could not process your request.

I got that too.

For those uninterested in trying it yourselves:

(also i completely agree with penguin001 on this tbh)

The “America Online could not complete the request” is obviously new, this may indicate that new progress on the server has happened.

I find it funny you guys are so fixated on constantly connecting to this very WIP service when from knowing some things about the protocols AOL used myself, it probably won’t get very far for some time. AOL requires the server to completely feed it the forms it displays along with their functionality, and the language used to make those forms is a complex, convoluted mess. To add on to that, the official forms themselves are very scarce in quantity and Wildman alone most likely won’t be able to find them himself. What I’m basically saying is, why all the hype that probably won’t lead to anything interesting on this service in its development stages? I’d understand if this was some lost server abandoned for years, but for a new server that’s just about to be developed on? Not so much.

4 Likes

man, do i feel stupid.

I don’t mean to put anyone down with what I said. All I’m saying is is it really worth it to stalk a server that’s super early in development and probably won’t get anywhere in a short time? Just to put this whole thing into retrospective.

5 Likes

well it’s kinda cool that AIM Phoenix is now hosting AOL Desktop, so yeah.

I’m most hype for the chatrooms.

AOL Desktop Gold’s chatrooms are literally filled with people in the Sixties plus love and the Politics - Republicans, and the starting room “The Cafe” is full of people speaking german.

On veesta they be like OLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOOLOLOL
On AOL Desktop Gold they be like GGGGGGGGGGGGGG

1 Like

I literally said “I’m new to AOL” and just got declined lolza.

Maybe they could (somehow; wouldn’t know if it would help) recreate the forms from scratch?? I don’t know much about this stuff so I wouldn’t know if it would be possible

If AOLEmu (a program that uses an amount of HTML pages for their channels) can do it, so can this.

but that’s not a even an aol client, it’s some visual basic bullshit.

1 Like

AOLEmu is an recreation of the original AOL Client, This and that are two very different things.

When it comes to recreating the forms, I assume that since all functionality like form pop-ups, error handling, etc., is sent with the form data, it’d be more work than expected. It probably wouldn’t be worth it.

I feel like this is going like this in a few years from now. Wildman’s servers aren’t well coded imo.

3 Likes

yeah somehow i feel the same

2 Likes