Is there any software that can act as a dialup modem that uses audio input and output

Well, i found an active BBS number, and i think i figured out how im gonna connect my phone to my PC, but i need a software modem since i dont have a phone patch, it needs to be able to output the data to the headphone jack (or play it from the speakers) and accept input from the microphone jack preferably, i honestly dont think theres anyone who had this idea or made the software.

Might I recommend DreamPi?

WO mic for microphone

can it accept audio input and output from my cell phone? if it does than i might try it, would it need any extra hardware?
edit cause replying doesnt work right

why would i need this if im connecting using an ACTUAL cell phone? also i was gonna connect the phone to a splitter, and connect the output into the audio input of the pc (for data input) and the headphone jack of the pc into the spitters mic input
edit cause replying doesnt work right

No. All it does is use your Wi-Fi connection as a way to use devices with modems, particularly a Dreamcast, but can be used for other devices.

oh, i thought thats what you meant right before i replyed to you just now. if only i had a usb modem, then i would probably try it

oh, and i probably should mention, im looking for a software modem that would run on the computer, if something like that meets my needs.

Reviving an old thread, but I came across this minimodem project below while doing some research for some other work:
http://www.whence.com/minimodem/

2 Likes

Yea, I found that a while back, honestly forgot this was still here for a while. But yea that’s something I have been messing around with every once in a while.

1 Like

This thread is probably dead, but I ran into a similar issue. I have a laptop with Windows XP, HyperTerminal and a modem hooked up to landline and I can call my phone. Does some sort of software modem that answers like a normal modem, but transmits over normal audio like minimodem exist? I was able to get the modem to answer using an Answer Tone (recieving some sort of data) but when placing my phone next to my laptop with minimodem set to read, it only recieved garbage data. The thing is that that data wasn’t sent by me, but instead was some sort of handshake.

Reviving the Thread again. If any progress has been made on a “minimodem” or software that can use VoIP protocol vua audio input/output. I currently have a Windows 2000 laptop with a built in modem, but i wanted to test it’s Dial Up connectivity via another phone line (i.e. my desktop computer.)