Escargot seems to be down

Several people commented in my tutorial on YouTube that the site was out. I tried to log in here and it’s out.

Of note, when Microsoft ran it, Messenger was down for weeks at one point, even an entire month once.

This was in the early days though, before it got really popular. Here’s an example news story of one of the outages:

looks like we’ve got a positive outlook then!

1 Like

Hey!
MSN Messenger 1.0 - 4.6 is working!!!

1 Like

unfortunately, I wasn’t smart enough to enable old msn support on my account :frowning:

too sad :frowning:

It’s smart not to.
Imagine if it gets popular, and oooops! Someone found out how to crack hashed MSN passwords!

you can give me the setup of msn Messenger1.0 pls

Ok (And MSN 1.0 and 4.6)
WM.zip (1,2 MB)

1 Like

found escargot yesterday and was really hyped, and now the server is down…

1 Like

I do believe this is the first time it’s been down completely for this long, usually outages have been small events that last a few hours at most and usually only affecting new sign ins.

same here, man! :frowning:

The weirder thing is the specific error it outputs saying that it couldn’t “find you account” (which I have been getting too). Judging from that error, @valtron’s probably doing one of two things:

1. Upgrading the database infrastructure and migrating the data to said infrastructure (while the server’s still live).
  2. Possibly adding the Yahoo! section of the database for the Yahoo! Messenger frontend that I have developed for (I’m not being narcissistic; I genuinely think such additions are happening).

Let’s just hope the server itself hasn’t malfunctioned to a greater degree than it has beforehand.

1 Like

why not working??
%D0%B8%D0%B7%D0%BE%D0%B1%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B6%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B5

I think your separate thread was enough. :confused:

BTW I replied with my two cents on the matter.

EDIT: NVM, saw that @TReKiE merged the thread lol :stuck_out_tongue: (An MSN emoticon? Yes! :smile:)

It’s not really weird, they’re all fairly generic error codes in these versions, thankfully the error codes get better as the versions go on. The 80048821 code is the generic “couldn’t authenticate” error, regardless if you got your credentials wrong or like now with the authentication server being down. But if you downgrade to 7.0, you’ll only get 80072efd currently, ie. the generic “can’t connect”.

The database is still running or else you wouldn’t be able to still sign in on versions that don’t need the https auth, but I suppose it could be the result of a read-only database. It’s all conjecture anyway :fox_face:

2 Likes

I initially had a feeling, but my memory is kind of faint with the previous server shutdowns that didn’t involve the actual physical server (including the site portion) being shut down, so I just went with what I remembered. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have tried to access the main site, alongside the auth portions, and all connections result in a “refused connection” error, but logging in under MSN 4.6 and below is successful, so maybe the HTTP(S) portion of the Escargot server is shut down. Should’ve done that before replying. :stuck_out_tongue:

(If @valtron is implementing the Yahoo! stuff, though, then that’s cool. :stuck_out_tongue:)

Can someone contact him?

1 Like

Belive me he knows about this without telling him. let’s just not disturb and frustrate him.

I would, but the last time I contacted him about this, he told me that the server was acting wonky with the TCP sockets, so I can only assume that that has happened again. :stuck_out_tongue:

Weirdly enough, only the HTTP(S) portion of the server has been shut down, meaning that MSN versions 5.0+, which use HTTPS for authentication, are useless as of now. If you have an account set up to use MSN 1.0-4.6, then you can log in as normal. :stuck_out_tongue:

(BTW, happy birthday! :slight_smile:)