Escargot and YMSG (Yahoo! Messenger)

Have you tried Mastodon? It’s like twitter, but decentralized and more customizable (plus you have more room for your tweets). Give it a shot and see what you think!

Thank you so much! I didn’t even know that the attribute (I think you may be talking about the status DWORD at offset 0x0d-0x10) was supposed to be a specified number when sending contact requests, as I had only assumed that was for rejecting requests. Also wow, a reply packet to the initial ContactAdd packet that isn’t contact details. Interesting.

As I am working with YMSG10, there are presumably no message encoding key-value pairs, but I will keep note of that. :stuck_out_tongue:

The attribute header field is not always used for status codes it’s also used for sub-services/commands and it’s always important. The most common discrepancy you’ll likely encounter is using a value of 0 when 1 should be used and vice-versa. The contact online packet is like this :slight_smile:

You’ll find that a few operations can trigger additional packets sent to the client without the client explicitly requesting them (even though they can). In some cases (particularly early on) this was done to reduce network usage for operations that obviously will need a reply. For others it’s just part of the evolution of the protocol as you’ll see when you get to dealing with reliable messaging in later versions.

FWIW you’ll want to make sure you’ve got initial delivery and subsequent refreshes of the users profile correct. Most operations including adding and removing a contact as well as renaming a group require the profile to be refreshed otherwise the changes do not appear in messenger.

1 Like

Interesting to hear. :stuck_out_tongue:

UPDATE 3

Finally got contact requests to work, thanks to the lovely @ChetSimpson. Progress will be continued as normal, and hopefully, the server goes live. :wink:

2 Likes

Can you pass me the patched Yahoo! Messenger?

Unfortunately, the server isn’t live yet (I have never completely finished the thing).

But for future reference, connecting to the Escargot Yahoo! server is just a simple registry hack. :wink:

Escahoo!

Esca(rgot) + (Y)ahoo!

anyone?

my inside feelings

uwu… owo when dis?

1 Like

Sounds a bit off, but good job anyways. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Maybe if you retained the “r” in “Escargot”, “Escarhoo” would sound a bit nicer).

Congratulations on getting everything up and working for contact adds. Hope it gets you back on track

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue: Your welcome.

But just to let you know, I’m now stuck on actually adding people to contact lists because Yahoo! Messenger doesn’t send a packet to notify such (from watching your videos, you seem to be puzzled by this, too, so I’m not really asking for much).

I’ve come to the conclusion there is no packet to accept the add request. When you added the user they were added and the only action to take was to remove them. This is likely why Deny-A-Buddy tools worked after ac contact was added because it was actually a remove me from their contact list.

Looking at libyahoo2 0.7.5 there is no accept add functionality. Kind hard to imagine they would omit that particular feature but support all other contact related functionality including accessing and modifying the address book.

1 Like

Interesting… :stuck_out_tongue:

Turns out 300 isn’t just a movie… :slight_smile:

You’ll probably find this a bit more interesting…

1 Like

What does it mean?
(what is 300? is it a dialog ID?)

i know “Edit Alerts” exists because of the debug patch (maybe?)

300 is the service id to send the alert content to messenger

nice find
will be helpful when needed to push update logs to users

I think system messages would be more suitable. :wink: