Error code: 80072efd help

No to the handwriting (taking features out, easy… putting features in, not so much). Yes to the ad window though, I’ll put that on the list.

Right now though, for those not aware, you can remove the conversation window ad window yourself by pressing the ALT key on the keyboard, choosing Tools, then Options, Messages category, then uncheck Show expanded footer in conversation windows and click OK.

Same problem here. Just waiting for Jonathan’s Reviver update to install WLM 2012 on Windows Vista, as he indicated yesterday.

If only… somebody has a way 2 giv WLM 2009 an HTTPS protocol. :pensive: U should think of that by now.

Yeah, thats probably the only solution.
since most servers still fully support HTTPS, which WLM2012 is currently running on.

There are 7 bn1 servers left that support HTTP port 80, but those will probably not last long.

HTTPS is easy to do actually, but it would still be MSNP18 over HTTPS. What you’re looking for is MSNP21 over HTTPS.

Think of HTTP/HTTPS as a phone, MSNP18 as English and MSNP21 as French. The Messenger server had a severe accident and now only speaks French. You can swap out the phone easily with a fancy new smartphone with more features (ie. HTTPS), but that doesn’t mean Messenger 2009 can now speak French and the server no longer speaks English so they can’t communicate.

(Spanish vs Portuguese would’ve probably made a more accurate metaphor, but never mind)

1 Like

Then let’s use MSNP21 & hope WLM 2009 can work w/ it!

If it works, we’ll spread the news.

Well codding wlm2009 to communicate over msnp21 will probably need a ton of work, and then its still the question if it works or not, and how long it will last.

Jonathan has a simply a good point, just to wait another week, till next Thursday for example, just to see if Microsoft is updating their servers even further.

Wenn the server updatings has become stable, and msnp21 is still supported by most servers, then it might be worth it, to try and create a work arround for wlm2009.

But for now it might be a waste of time.
So just upgrade to wlm2012 for now is the best solution for the people who can.

@TReKiE did an awesome job, keeping wlm2009 up and running from april 2013 till March 2015. But at the moment, because of Microsoft´s server updates every Thursday it just is a hard time.

1 Like

True, man. I’m usin’ a Vista & I don’t hav the stuff 2 download the 2012 version. Even if I revive it. So I’m gonna wait instead.

Well i have the luxury, that my PC is powerfull enough to run virtual machines, so what i basicly did, is installing Windows 8.1 X64 pro in Virtualbox, and in that i installed wlm2012, so i did not uninstall wlm 2009 on my physical machine just yet.

I´m going to wait and see. And in the mean while, i can still use wlm2012 in the VM.

The only strange thing, that Msgplus-600 gave me a virus warning? @TReKiE

One thing i miss the most, are the wlm2009 emoticons.

Like most of you here I’ll probably wait a while and see if Kay can get WLM2009 to work again if the server-side situation stabilizes. I do hope he can, because 2009 remains most people’s favorite for many reasons that I identify with.

…Using less memory with more features for one.

Alright, everybody! Let’s not giv up on WLM 2009 & switch to 2012 just yet. We hope Jonathan’s workin’ on givin’ WLM 2009 MSNP21 support.

Think about the possibilities.

He literally implied it won’t work and that it is unlikely that it will ever work and yet you’re somehow interpreting that he is “working on a solution”?

Well I hope he’s making a solution.

Basicly, if you can write software code your self, then it basicly should be possible to write your own messenger client, connecting over msnp24.

Then you should basicly be capable, to re-design wlm2009, with a complete new msnp24 login protocol.

However the problem with this is copyright, Microsoft has their copyright on wlm 2009.
So if you copycat messenger 2009, or even use it, but write a diffrent login protocol for it, then you are breaking the copyright laws.

On the linux community, there where allot of open source instand messaging clients, that worked on their own writen login protocol.
So basicly this should be possible with wlm2009 aswell, but then you simply need to know, how to write software.

But will Microsoft notice if we break the laws?

Technically anyone who has ever patched their client (using Reviver or other tools in the past) has violated Microsoft’s Terms of Use. However, there’s no monetary gain for them in going after anyone and I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

Same goes for copyright. Particularly if you’re not making any money, I don’t think there would be a huge concern.

Just to be clear though, the Microsoft Notification Protocol or “MSN Protocol” hasn’t been officially documented since MSNP2 in 1999 (for those inclined, you can read through it yourself). Anything past that has been documented by reverse-engineering, guess work and subtle hints by some very smart and dedicated people. The higher you go in the versions of the protocol, the more mystery you get about how it all works.

On top of that, making a new client to the specifications of 2009 is really not an easy thing to do. Messenger is a great example of Microsoft desktop software at it’s finest, making full use of the capabilities of running on a computer and features of Windows. There are very few instant messaging clients which have compared and only now are we beginning to see any similar capabilities (and most of them found on the smartphone, not on the desktop). Even Microsoft’s latest entries at building an IM client have been lacking (ie. the Messaging app in Windows 8.0 and the Skype app in 8.1).

Right now Lync is probably the most featured client Microsoft officially supports, although the last version removed the handwriting features (although they still appear in the Windows 8/Modern/Metro/WinRT verison of Lync). However, Lync is not free and requires a Lync server to connect to.

What do U mean no monetary gain?

I just discovered something interessting.
im pretty sure, that till yesterday all msnp18 protocols where red crossed.

Now i see this one single bay sever that allows msnp18 again, but unfortunatly only over https. @TReKiE

But still its interessting.

[quote=“Phillip_Michael_Sulp, post:38, topic:140”]
What do U mean no monetary gain?
[/quote]I mean it has to be worth their money (and time) to bother. I’m certainly not a lawyer, but I think they would have a pretty hard time explaining what financial damages there would be from a product and service that officially no longer exists.