Creating a New AIM Server

Working on an AIM Server using Xeon Productions’ server. Have not decided on a name for it yet. :cat2: I hope you enjoy it once it’s finished! :slight_smile:

1 Like

cue the “This is not real server retrad make real sever” nonsense :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

no u

I like the name of “AAWAS” A actual working AIM server

1 Like

lolroflcopterrawrxdlaaawl!!!

Working on an AIM Server using Xeon Productions’ server

You’d be better off starting over with completely new code TBH…

1 Like

To add on to @Wildman_Fujiami’s reply, it is poorly designed, as with the time I tested Xeon’s server with AIM 5.1. It would authenticate, but services wouldn’t start. Later on, I found out that it was because the developer had hardcoded their IP address for the packet that sends out the BOS IP to the authenticating client, which I had to edit. Afterwards, the client would successfully authenticate.

Also, there are some unimplemented services on Xeon’s server, so either way, best you make it from scratch. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not to mention the serious problem that it’s not threaded and uses Winsock for a network stack, meaning that the time it takes for a message to be processed through that server will be the sum of everyones ping time… so picture what a nice lag fest that is going to be with 30+ people connected. and all those strings used in the code… that have to be converted to byte values… through a nested looping function… latency city :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m not a networking nor a Win32 mogul, so thanks for the tidbit of information.

Guess VB6 is too basic for server-side/advanced application development. :stuck_out_tongue:

Learned from hard experience, way back in the day (early 2000s) we made a server / client for Populous 3 in vb6, it was nice… until the user count got above about 13 or so… then it was latency and desync hell… the server just melted under the load. :sweat: and it was a simpler server than Xeon because it didnt have all this conversion and encoding nonsense to do.

That’s a very vividly hellish image. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s what you get with an IDE that doesn’t support actual ASCII byte support or clean Win32 API support (cough BSTR cough), like C++ or C# would (although VB .NET might be more lenient with Win32 APIs). :stuck_out_tongue:

This project has been cancelled due to the buggy server software that just doesn’t want to work. I’m not good w/ VB6, so I might not even attempt at trying to fix anything. :cat2:

well like I said, that source code is a train wreck, I had to get rid of huge chunks of code and rewrite numerous things to even get it to just barely work with one or two client versions. even if you got that far, the unavoidable fact is that it’s a single threaded program using winsock for networking, meaning if more than like 4 or 5 people got on it at once the thing would melt and the latency would begin to grow exponentially.