Chkdsk after dual booting. Should I do it?

I remember uninstalling Linux the unintended way and managed to make it display that there was an issue with Windows partition “restart to fix”, but it corrupted the entire boot management system. Trying to convert into MBR and making a new boot partition didn’t worked either

Now, at this time, i’m back at Windows 11 23H2, and I wonder if there is any problems executing chkdsk /f /r or smth like that, specially when now I’m dualbooting Linux with Windows, whether it has the option to boot into GRUB or Windows Boot Manager directly.

Chkdsk definitely can be destructive if it finds something it doesn’t expect, which usually only happens with non-Microsoft NTFS drivers.

I suppose you could always give it a try in read-only mode (i.e. no switches) to see if it would “fix” anything, and I would double-check the dirty bit wasn’t triggered afterward (fsutil dirty query).

Considering how much fanfare there was back in 2020 when Paragon decided to put forth their driver, (even Linus didn’t seem opposed), you would hope there would be less issues with NTFS partitions getting “corrupted” by the Linux driver.

Also, you could set it up so NTFS partitions are mounted in read-only mode in Linux to avoid problems. Since WSL can read ext4 in Windows, this might be more viable for practical use then it used to be.

1 Like

The boot partition is FAT32, and the rest is ext4, except the swap

so, when I delete the boot partition from the older distro, it seems that the problem disappeared… And, I have configured the same way as I’ve done before

Now that it doesn’t really say: “Please do that right now!!” I don’t think it is much of an issue now