Cell phones in the 2000s Vs Now

Is that a boot leg Samsung s2?? Or a collab between idk who? :face_with_raised_eyebrow::thinking:

Not a bootleg, I think it was a collab. Not sure. I had this phone a long long while ago.

1 Like

Now I know what it is! Itā€™s a Samsung S5230 with a unique skin, and turns out these arenā€™t the only variants that exist. Thereā€™s white, pink, etcā€¦
Phones were truly unique.

1 Like

dafak?

Wow you werenā€™t kidding, a look at the wikipedia page shows really interesting details. Still technically a Java-based featurephone but thereā€™s first-gen TouchWiz (and customizable widgets seen above), a usable browser (for the time), fm radio+rds, accelerometer, some variants have wifi, gps, and even nfc.

Yes I remember it had a Java app, I didnā€™t know what it was for as a kid. Mine didnā€™t have Wifi but the rest checks out. Also there are also silver and gold editions?? Woww

1 Like

man! wish they keeped keyboards like UMPCs had, i think it would be more easier to use and more multifunctional! DAMN STEVE JOBS!

3 Likes

True, I miss physical keyboards. I wouldnā€™t care if the screen was smaller (I donā€™t like these huge bricks anyways).

Recently it was reported that the upcoming GPD Win 4 will have a physical keyboard again (Win 1 and Win2 did, Win3 no).

i heard you nerds like weird outdated gubbins

2 Likes

The pink one looks bad thoā€¦.

man! that thing has alot of machine power for its size but id not imagine the price of itā€¦

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m not a fan of it either lol

For sure. Itā€™s a really hard sell too when they sell exclusively through crowdfunding and aliexpress, the support is poor, and they donā€™t design for repairability. Thereā€™s the most recent GPD Pocket too which is just lovely, but $1000+ USD is tough. Their company has huge potential though. I do wish theyā€™d make the necessary investments to be more than they are (and maybe thatā€™s coming).

Came across this earlier today:

Itā€™s pretty nice :slight_smile:

1 Like