Can't sign in to MSN Messenger 5.0.0537 in Windows 98 SE using VMware!

Problem description: I tried to sign in to MSN Messenger 5.0.0537 in Windows 98 SE using VMware after patching it using a hex editor, but ended up telling me that they could not sign me in. Can you please help me fix that error?

Error code/error message: Sorry, we could not sign you in due to one or more of the following: The sign in name does not exist, the password is incorrect or the Passport service is temporarily unavailable.

What has been tried so far: Signing in after patching MSN Messenger 5.0.0537 using a hex editor in Windows 98 SE in VMware Workstation.

Messenger version: MSN Messenger 5.0.0537

Windows version: Windows 98 SE

Hi dear. I’m going to run a 98 SE vm that I have stored on my portable hard drive and will do the tests and come back to give you a feedback. :relaxed:

EDIT: does not work. I try two virtual machines (pt-br and en), IE 5 and 6 sp1, only TLS 1.0 enabled, registry keys add and msnmsgr.exe patched (hex and MG patched), same error.

The issue is that 98 doesn’t have good TLS support, even XP (without POSReady updates) barely works with Escargot :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So the versions that will work correctly on 98 is from 1 to 4.x? I saw that they do not make use of secure authentication.

MSN 5 dosent work on any versions of windows older than xp, unfortunately :confused:

1 Like

You can Use Messenger 4.6 or 2.2 or use Windows 2000

1 Like

you bumped, he aleady got it solved