81000378 Error when trying to log in WLM 8.5 on Windows 10

Problem description: When I try to log in WLM 8.5, it loads for a few seconds, and it hangs twice as if it is about to get logged, and then the error message window pop ups. This problem arose after I uninstalled WLM 8.5 using Revo Uninstaller Pro and reinstalled it.

Error code/error message: You can’t use Windows Live Messenger at the moment because your contacts list isn’t available. Try again later.

What has been tried so far:

• Tried JK’s solution (there’s no “Use SSL 3.0”, “Use SSL 2.0” is unticked and “Use TLS 1.0” is ticked; Couldn’t find sysocmgr.exe; Computer’s date and time is correct). No luck, problem persists.

Messenger version: 8.5.1302.1018

Windows version: Windows 10 Pro

Any fix?

You shouldn’t have to use TReKiE’s workaround on Windows 10 since it should come with the latest SSL support and root certificates by default. Other than that I know I had to repatch all the existing prepatched installers a while ago because one of them was patched incorrectly and caused issues with logging in, so you might have luck installing from those updated installers. Also, why were you using Revo in the first place? Just curious.

It worked! To solve the problem, all I had to do was uninstall WLM again and reinstall it using the latest available installer from Escargot page. Thank you, @OhHelloThereImTheGuy :smile:

Now, answering your question: there’s some feature I had ticked in my A-Patch installation that made the Display Picture missing, and no matter how I unticked/ticked this feature in A-Patch again, the Display Picture wouldn’t go back to UI. I thought I might aswell uninstall it altogether and install it again, but when I did it I started facing this error everytime when trying to log in. The Display Picture is back now that I reinstalled it using the latest installer, by the way :slightly_smiling_face: