What makes youngsters that hop on the retro bandwagon attracted to late 90s - mid 2000s messengers, and Internet in general?

There are exceptions, of course. Or I may be just wrong.

I used to use messenger a little bit in 2010. I like retro shit because it’s interesting. :slight_smile:

I was using MSN, for a long time. It has the soul technology should have.

Having just arrived in my 20s, I’m attracted to more than simply the 90s aesthetics. I actually had a bit of history with this era, though I lived with a very 90s type of growing up. Saturday morning cartoons, watching the old gameshow reruns on Nick GaS, playing on a hand-me-down Sega Genesis for several years until I finally got my hands on a Gamecube, and a Dell Dimension 4500S was passed down to me, finally the point where I was experiencing the new millennium.

In all fairness, it’s more peculiar why I’m more interested in the 80s than the 90s, as I have NO history with that decade. We’re kinda in a weird middle-zone of retro-nostalgia homages regarding the 80s, and the subtle attitude shifts of the 90s based on politics and garbage like that. In that sense, the 90s and early 2000s make me think of simpler times, where anything could be a surprise, like getting a game or movie on a disc in your cereal box. I still have a lot of old discs from that time. So I also care quite a bit for the things I’ve experienced regarding technology.

1 Like

Most of the kids you are describing are edgelords just hoping on the retro and nostalgia bandwagon for the memes and not actual genuine interest or nostalgia they are being ironic.

2 Likes

2 years later?

but yeah checks out

THIS
also thats the main reason why pages like friend project have a lot of abandoned users

3 Likes

Yeah Friend Project was popular for awhile but it eventually died off.

I mainly like the old internet majiggabobbers because the shit we have nowadays sucks, the instagram and the snapchat or whatever all fucking suck, I hate them, they are all just spyware behind a shitty service lacking features. I like old shit, the design, the friendliness, and the overall feeling using it.

1 Like

Yea, I actually have interest in these things, unlike these other kids.

4 Likes

I don’t like to answer these things because of how people could judge but… Why not?

I find it interesting because of how toxic people may be in the internet, especially in modern times. SO I like to escape into old games, software, web pages etc.
I like stuff like bejeweled, combat arms, super Mario, WLM (whcih i got to experience with an Acer Aspire 1/Toshiba Satellite harmen-karmen laptop around 2010 -2011), skeumorphism (Windows Vista/7 and iOS 1 - 6) etc.

This is more of a modern experience, but the new of the old is what I still like to use. I enjoy a lot of the Wii games and Gamecube Titles, such as Animal Crossing, Sonic Adventure DX, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Project M (Brawl but Melee style) and I was one of the few 15 Million people to get the Wii U and play the few titles that we’re some of the wii u’s best, such as Mario 3D World and Smash 4.

I like old websites such as the OLD 2011 Facebook (When they were good and not as bad and had a nice interface) and I watched a bunch of Newsground animations (Never got the jokes until a few years ago)

I swear, Modern OSes look so sad and very bland. They don’t have any pizazz like that of Windows 7 or macOS 10.6 when they first came out. skeumorphism (in my opinion) looks absolutely gorgeous! I question why they decided to drop it, but I guess I have to move with the times…

and usually when I find stuff like this, I like to dive in as If i remember like it was yesterday and completely ditch the online community of today. I forget that it’s still my time… and I kind of miss my kind of childhood.

I hate fortnite and pubg. The online community is just so toxic sometimes to the point where I don’t even feel comfortable playing a game with such a potent community.

I just… I don’t know but the old times feel much safer and friendlier as well as being appealing to the minds of those who are troubled with today’s online community and it’s just the truth

Welp, I’m ready to be judged

1 Like

this can be considered harrasing by kids like me

me too aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sorry but it is the truth.

My first computer was when I was about 8 years old. I didn’t even have the internet but it was so cool to see that Windows XP, an encyclopedia Microsoft encarta. a Windows Messenger although I could only see the screen Login . After I had the internet years later, like in 2007, it was great. I remember having Messenger 7.5 and friends from school who I chatted with out there. When I was listening to Linkin park … it was very nice because the internet was less toxic and more … I don’t know. Alternative, maybe.

Then I was able to try other older software, like trying that 90s air

2 Likes