Patching Mac OS 9 Messenger Software

I recently found out about the Escargot server, and I’m excited to start using it! I am curious about the possibility of using a compatible MSN Messenger client on my favorite classic OS, Mac OS 9. The latest classic-compatibile version of the official client seems to be v2.5.1, but only Windows versions of the client are available from Escargot. There is also the alternate MSN client for OS 9, Mac Messenger, which is a bit more recent. Has anyone tried to make patching/editing instructions for the classic Mac clients?

You can install MSN messenger but the protocol is not supported on escargot server :stuck_out_tongue: (i think)

Yeah, which is why I’m asking if anyone has any suggestions. Can anyone confirm/deny if the clients use a completely different server connection protocol, then? Hopefully not - I would love to use Escargot on OS 9. A PPC OS X client would also be alright, but I’m really hoping for a classic client.

I’m not entirely sure about that.

Originally, I thought it connected to the service via MSNP as I was testing it in SheepShaver, but my network wasn’t being detected by it, and I wasn’t going to go on wild goose chases searching for a fix to end up in dead ends, so I left it by the wayside.

But now that I copied the executable and examined it in HxD, that may be the case, as I saw some strings like MSNP2 and CVR0, which are used for the VER command when logging in.

Unfortunately, I don’t see any server URLs, which I hope weren’t changed for the Mac version, so it might store it in Mac OS’ version of the Windows registry, which I have no clue on what it’s called or how it works right now. So someone with enough Mac OS know-how should step up and maneuver this thing to get it to connect to Escargot’s service. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just remembered that one of the Escargot devs, @enhanox, got the version of MSN Messenger for Mac I installed up and running, probably because he knows how to maneuver Mac OS and how to dissect its apps, unlike me. Native Mac Support for MSN Messenger (#14) · Issues · Escargot / Escargot Server · GitLab :stuck_out_tongue:

I tried a couple of the executables listed for download in the thread, and none of them are valid OS 9 executables, sadly. Is there a link to an Escargot-modified installer available?

do you guys have anything for linux users?

It seems the person in the earlier link was able to get it working in OS 9 by editing the system hosts file, but it is inaccessible/invisible in the OS, so it cannot be edited… :frowning:

I tried creating one in my Mac OS 9 SheepShaver with SimpleText, but again, network isn’t registering on it, so not sure about that working yet. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I got internet working on my SheepShaver, so that’s a plus. :stuck_out_tongue:

But after I created a HOSTS file on my computer and copied it to Mac OS 9 -> System Folder -> Preferences, MSN Messenger 1.0 still didn’t connect and after a while, failed.

Since IDK how using HOSTS exactly works on OS 9, I may be in a pickle here. :sweat:

I got my hands on a PPC computer running 10.4. I tried MSN 3.0.0, with the hosts file trick, but with no success. :frowning:

Ugh. That sucks.

I always hate Apple OSes for the sole reason that they aren’t as easy to customize and tinker with as Windows or Linux, which is pretty ironic in Linux’s case, since Mac OS X is pretty much a Linux distro.

1 Like

os x can be based of a unix distro but in my opinion that dosent measn that os x is a linux distro

apple systems were not meant to be customizable, they were made to simply be easy to use and be fast and stable , so yeah os x (or ios ) is not the system for you :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: ( i know this is off-topic , but meh )

1 Like

After less than a year mine became slow :triumph:

bad to you , my macbook 2007 running lion is still GOTTA GO FAST

My OS 9 500MHz Powerbook G4 still runs faster and cooler than my 1.5 GHz G4 running Tiger. XD

Speaking of OS 9, it is waaaaayyyy more customizable than OS X - you can edit arguably more in OS 9 than in Windows 9X thanks to ResEdit and full System Folder access.

also you can customize os x with the terminal