Paid updates on Windows 7

Today I was reading on a blog that Microsoft want to extend Windows 7’s support until 2023 but you need to pay to get updates… Is that true or not?

4 Likes

Si, lo è. (Yes it is, only for corporate)

1 Like

its true

Funny enough the thread’s ID is “7600”, the same build number as “Windows 7 RTM”.

6 Likes

Yeah, you need to pay, but Only for Professional and Enterprise editions only
Ultimate or Home Basic, etc… are not.

You could install posready 7 updates that are suported until 2021

Bump time:

POSReady 7 is very obscure. There’s no such regedit trick that is simillar to the famous XP POSReady trick. Also Embedded is for ATMs. You want your computer to be a ATM? :stuck_out_tongue:

I think POSReady 7 will be treated as “Windows 7” and as such. Will get EOL at the same time as Windows 7.

The problem is that both the XP and 7 version of POSReady were made for ATMs which makes the updates useless on a consumer computer. The average person who used to have Windows 7 (and 8.1) now has Windows 10.

MS never made atm updates for posready 2009 and later.Also you dont need a “registry trick” to get these updates to work on 7. Heck yeah you can install server 2008(not r2) updates on vista with no problems

I don’t think posting in an 19 day old thread can be considered bumping, so don’t worry.
Also, you added useful information, so even in the remote case that it was considered a bump, the information added would justify it.

The problem is that a lot of Server 2008’s update are security updates not made for a consumer’s computer. They were made for making servers (still) using “Windows Server 2008” more secure and less prone to attacks.

If someone wanted to use Server 2008 as a consumer operating system and make it look like Vista. It would be for its “faster” speed.

Back into Windows 7’s paid updates. I fell like it’s basically Windows 10 propoganda, Because Microsoft is like “If you want to use your good old Windows 7, PAY NOW. or else, say hello to Windows 10, Featuring your (future) personal assistant, Cortana”.

If we look at this part.

With that in mind, today we are announcing that we will offer paid Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) through January 2023. The Windows 7 ESU will be sold on a per-device basis and the price will increase each year. Windows 7 ESUs will be available to all Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise customers in Volume Licensing, with a discount to customers with Windows software assurance, Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 10 Education subscriptions. In addition, Office 365 ProPlus will be supported on devices with active Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) through January 2023. This means that customers who purchase the Windows 7 ESU will be able to continue to run Office 365 ProPlus.

It looks like a scam which is a “con”. I mean the only “pro” you’ll get is being still able to run “Office 365 ProPlus” but the current average Windows 7 user still uses Office 2010 or 2003 (which is almost 20 years old) and rarely anyone uses Office 2013 or 2016, 2019 only supports Windows 10 and nobody has upgraded to it.

The combination of Windows 10 and Office 365 ProPlus delivers the most productive, most secure end user computing experience available.

Microsoft just pretends that their Windows 10 OS seems to actually be “productive” when they basically included non-producitve Freemium King games,

The flaw actually is that REMAINING Windows 7 users actually hate Windows 10. Microsoft only said about “Professional” and “Enterprise” versions. Windows 7 users could just upgrade their pre-existing copy of “Professional” to “Ultimate”. And those who uses the Home versions won’t have to do anything! Hardly anyone uses Enterprise and those… well moved to Windows 10… The issue is that Microsoft didn’t told if the paid-updates would be free on Ultimate, Home Premium, Home Basic and even Starter or would not work.

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/12/07/someone-found-a-way-to-bypass-windows-7-extended-security-updates-checks/ !!!

1 Like

I hope there will be a solution like on XP.

1 Like

it’s something about the topic of the thread, so there’s no problem in that

2 Likes

Ended on April 9, 2019, marking the final end of the Windows NT 5.1 product line after 17 years, 7 months, and 16 days. Counting this edition, Windows XP is the longest-lived version of Windows ever–a record that is unlikely to be beaten.

1 Like

cough windows 10 as a service cough

Another episode of people flagging at me for trying to make me banned… smh.

Micheal MJD made a video about this version. And he “says” that until 2021 you can use and its similar to 7, just more features

I’d prefer install Windows 8.1 and ther install Glass8 and a windows 7 theme
I have it installed and it’s very similar to Windows 7 :stuck_out_tongue: