[OUTDATED] Important update regarding the status of the Escargot server

I’m quitting it, tho. Anyways, if 2 months has passed, we all have to use the old version?

I have my doubts.

That aside, if 2 months pass AND the HTTPS certificates that power authentication for Messenger 5.0 and later expire (even though with @valtron’s CA, Let’s Encrypt, rate limits expire within a week, so that might change), then you’re stuck with MSN 1.0 - 4.6 for a while. :stuck_out_tongue:

So it’s like going back to the dinosuar ages before emoticons, winks and nudges :stuck_out_tongue: but what if I can’t run the old versions on Windows 10 or on my MacBook Air? (I have a Japanese copy of Windows XP on Parallel’s Desktop lol, but I use MSN Messenger via Wine)

I’ve seen screenshots of MSN 4.6 working on Windows 10, so it shouldn’t be a daunting task. :stuck_out_tongue:

As for 1.0 - 3.6, it’ll install, but for me on Windows 7, the uninstaller is broken. :stuck_out_tongue:

the unistaller is broken in w10 too

1 Like

Did he try shutting down and booting up again?

If not (or did but didn’t work),

1 Like

Just wanted to add that is completely pointless, because they could only talk with your contacts, change your photo, status, and not much more, since conversation history is stored locally in the computer, and not in the server.
And even if they managed to get people to block/unfriend you, you could just tell them it wasn’t you via this forum

1 Like

UPDATE

@valtron has confirmed that his CA is Let’s Encrypt, and since their rate limits are set to expire a week after the limits in a.certificate have been reached, he can get new certificates!

But there’s still the port binding issue he has to face with. Since that’s a problem tied to the system he’s using, that’ll take some time, too.

4 Likes

I am fairly handy myself with linux and C/C++ (I work with them, actually)

I think I can, and would be glad to try and help him, if he wants o’ course.

2 Likes

Actually, @valtron uses Python for the server backend.

Not sure if that won’t help you, but either way, sure you could help him. :stuck_out_tongue:

I know. I thought Caddy was made in C/C++, as most things in linux, but looks like it’s made in Go. no matter, thats not really an Issue. I’ll try and see If can figure anything on my end

Oh. Now I see. :stuck_out_tongue:

Good luck regardless. :slight_smile:

NOTE: Version 4.7.2009 will not work because 4.7.2005 and above use the new authentication.

you can blame Win16 for that

1 Like

WM 4.7 also works, if you can find a CORRECT version that is MD5 only.

1 Like

I know, but I don’t want people getting confused over which is MD5 and which isn’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

Huh. Usually running Win16 applications give me an NTVDM error. Running the MSN 1.0 uninstaller on 64-bit Windows 7 gives me an INI error. :stuck_out_tongue:

sounds normal, could be a Win24 (unoffical name for Windows 16 + 32) problem in itself

FINAL UPDATE

@valtron has e-mailed me with word that he has once and for all solved his certificate and server problems, meaning that this case is officially CLOSED!

You can continue to use Escargot as you please, and hopefully nothing like this happens again, at the very least for a good while. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Good News :smiley: :messenger:

1 Like