Escargot not working in Crimea

Problem description:
my friend from the Crimea does not work Escargot. Not a site, not a server.
Error code/error message:

Windows version:
Windows 8.1

1 Like

Most likely either someone forgot to clean up after their HOSTS file or their ISP blocked the domain. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, first claim falsified.

Although the Adobe activation entries interest me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Might be worth tracerouting from their machine to see what you get (tracert escargot.log1p.xyz). A normal route should be similar to this:

Tracing route to escargot.log1p.xyz [35.185.200.209] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1   158 ms    27 ms    16 ms  23.92.60.1
  2     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  xe-1-2.edge1.orl.hostdime.com [72.29.88.33]
  3     9 ms     9 ms     8 ms  core1-1-0-0.mia.net.google.com [198.32.124.133]
  4     9 ms     9 ms     9 ms  108.170.249.3
  5     9 ms     9 ms    10 ms  108.170.231.79
  6    38 ms    37 ms    38 ms  209.85.249.138
  7    52 ms    52 ms    51 ms  72.14.237.135
  8    75 ms    76 ms    76 ms  108.170.236.233
  9    76 ms    76 ms    76 ms  74.125.37.213
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19    76 ms    75 ms    75 ms  209.200.185.35.bc.googleusercontent.com [35.185.200.209]

Trace complete.

The 9 timed out hops are normal/expected. You may want to do your own to compare with theirs.

In Russia, a lot of people who do not have the money to buy programs. Therefore, download the pirated version.

yo-ho-ho, pirates!

2 Likes

LOL I know. :stuck_out_tongue:

here’s how i:

Might want to change it to tracert -h 100 escargot.log1p.xyz for theirs, as they exceeded the default 30 hops.
However, the 72.14.237.249 on their hop 21 is California/Google, so they do at least initially appear to be getting to North America.

Since it appears the routing is probably fine, you might want to install the telnet client (not installed by default on Win8), by opening an elevated command prompt, and doing:
dism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:TelnetClient

Then you can try connecting to the server directly with:
telnet escargot.log1p.xyz 1863

If you can connect to the Escargot server, the command prompt will clear itself and leave you with an empty blinking cursor (just hit the X to close or hit Ctrl-] and type quit). If it can’t connect, you’ll get:
Connecting To escargot.log1p.xyz...Could not open connection to the host, on port 1863: Connect failed.

connection to escargot.log1p.xyz … Could not open a connection to this node, on port 1863: Connection failed

Yeah you can forget the “probably fine” part, that’s not going to work.

There’s a few other things you can try, but they’re rare edge cases. However, I guess it’s worth trying.

You can check if the TTL has been changed, I’m not even really sure if Win8 respects this setting if it exists, but at a command prompt do:
reg query HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v DefaultTTL

In a default install, this setting should not exist but if it does, I would suggest deleting that DefaultTTL value in the registry editor and rebooting, as a lower TTL will tell router to drop packets before they reach a destination with so many hops.

Additionally, you can check if there’s an MTU problem that needs addressing by trying to ping the escargot server with a lower size. So try:
ping escargot.log1p.xyz -l 500 -f and if you’re able to ping the server by doing that, try increasing the 500 to see how far you can get. Then you can change the size.

If none of that works, I’m not sure what to suggest other than a VPN or something. Is it expected that these sorts of interruptions might happen in Crimea? Do they think Escargot is Telegram? :stuck_out_tongue:

I actually was considering that it was some sort of government censorship thing. But I don’t like going that far. :stuck_out_tongue:

and for Russia it is really so. was a long war from the summer of 2017 against the stupid. As a result, the court blocked the telegram. Because

however we still use Telegram and bypass the locks. so that:

but is not it easier to just use VPN
we have a lot of things that do not work
not only escargot

Hm… seriously

However, a friend uses Telegram, he, like me, likes this messenger

WhatsApp sucks
Pavel Durov, Telegram CEO