Error code 8100032d when on certain networks?

Hi,

Thanks for developing reviver, it’s really great to continue to use good ol’ MSN :smile:

I’ve recently moved into a halls of residence for a college course and am having some problems. When I try to sign in (Messenger 2012 revived) I get a 8100032d error code; “Signing in to Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable”.

I think the problem is to do with the slightly strange Wifi connection we have to use. It forces us to download ‘Cisco NAC Agent’ before it enables internet access.I assume it must be blocking a port or something? I have had no problems with other programs accessing the internet, including Skype and DropBox.

Here is where it gets weird. I tried using my phone’s wifi hotspot. When connected to this WLM sign in no problem. I then tried switching back to the college wifi and was surprised to find that WLM continued to work, and I was able to send/receive messages no problem. This worked until the laptop was shut down/slept where I woould have to go through the same process again. Unfortunately this method no longer seems to work and WLM refuses to reconnect when I switch to the college network :frowning:

I’m sure there must be a way around this, any help would be much appreciated. I’d happily provide any logs etc if you can explain where they are,

Cheers,
Ollie_i

The 8100032d error code means that Messenger is having trouble retrieving/synching your contact list with the server. That part probably explains why you have no trouble if you start from your phone’s shared connection (where it can retrieve the contact list), and then swap to school network - the 2012 protocol has already received the list for that session and doesn’t need to get it again.

However, all this happens on the standard https protocol and shouldn’t normally be a problem.

Some things you might try though:

• After you’ve connected and passed through the Cisco NAC Agent, close down Messenger and make sure that both it (msnmsgr.exe) and the Windows Live Communications Platform (wlcomm.exe) aren’t running. Then start Messenger back up again and try to connect.

• If that didn’t work, again make sure both aren’t running, open an elevated Command Prompt, and execute the following:

sc stop wlidsvc
    wait two seconds, and then:

sc start wlidsvc

If you’re able to restart this service, launch Messenger and try again. Note: if you’re told the service wasn’t running in the first place, don’t worry, this only applies in certain scenarios.

A lot of the connection duties in Messenger 2012 are handled by that wlcomm.exe process (it runs from Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Contacts), if that’s helpful in your investigation of something you might have to configure.

1 Like