Yahoo Messenger is Being Discontinued

Today I got an email from Yahoo, telling me that in July, Yahoo Messenger is going to officially be discontinued. I don’t really know if this is a good or bad thing, to be honest.

Verizon is kiling IT :confused:

Well, my librarian is gonna hate this.
I remember I had a discussion about putting Adium on the Macs there, and she told me about how she used Pidgin for GTalk and Yahoo. Well, not anymore, I guess.

i dont know what to fell about this

Considering Yahoo’s neglectful attitude to their userbase nowadays, and how it has negatively impacted Yahoo! Messenger, along with Yahoo!'s other products and even their security (see the plethora of hacks and breaches), I would say it’s a good thing. :stuck_out_tongue:

no

at least we’re getting the 5.5 server soon enough

4 Likes

I thought Verizon were going to kill AIM and keep Yahoo Messenger, I didn’t expect this at all.

Same here, actually. It was only when @TReKiE brought up the news on here a while ago that I realized what Yahoo! Messenger’s final fate was.

It had a good run. Verizon probably saw it to be pointless to maintain it when nobody really cares about it anymore.

1 Like

i care about it ;-;

The new Yahoo! Messenger, I assume she’s most likely referring to. :stuck_out_tongue:

oh … i loved yahoo 11 ;-;

1 Like

Hm, you’re a minority then. Everybody I know moved away from Y!M years ago. Pretty sure only obscure communities use it nowadays cough.

Well, different countries had their own go-to messenger of the year:

• The U.S. first had AIM/Yahoo!, then SMS, then glorified texting apps that aren’t really much use aside from adding a UI that isn’t really interesting most of the time, alongside Discord and Skype.

• Canada (looking at you @TReKiE) and most of Europe (also Latin America) had MSN Messenger before migrating to texting platforms and mobile messengers.

• India has and is still mainly using Yahoo! too to my knowledge until it discontinues in July (well I stand corrected by @Raymonf, as they now mainly use WhatsApp, but I assume the ones who don’t enjoy that or the new Yahoo! Messenger either stuck to those or migrated to texting platforms and other mobile messengers as well)

• Russia (and maybe Ukraine?) has ICQ and if it isn’t banned still, Telegram.

• IDK what Japan used as their go-to IM before LINE was a thing, but I assume MSN because:

(Ripped from Marisa Stole the Precious Thing’s SWF)

And I guess Brazil had Yahoo! as their main IM for a good while. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

i used Pidgin and MSN Messenger in 2010 and moved on to Skype after 2012, then moved to Discord in 2016.

i guess that makes me an outcast?

not really

Oh.

So what did you use classic Yahoo! for back when it was still up? :stuck_out_tongue:

i used yahoo messenger 11 and wlm 2012/11 ( and alo skype )

I meant what purpose did you use Yahoo for, not what kind. :stuck_out_tongue: