Some progress regarding games

Great progress tristan! thank you very much :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We just played the first ever Tic Tac Toe game session with Matheus Rick from Brazil on Escargot! For the sake of history, this was a draw Brazil - France : 0-0 :smile:

For now, it’s not available for everyone but it will soon be.

I was not able to make the old MSN games working because they lack a lot of files (not everything was saved unfortunately). But, creating games is really easy… you just need HTML/CSS/JS. And, nowadays, with this 3 languages, you can do basicaly everything.

5 Likes

True, that was a great achievement, having games working again. :smiley:

We can also have many other different applications using this feature.

2 Likes

Escargot is evolving fast, I can not wait to use it again!

1 Like

This is really exciting! For creating games is any server-side scripting required, like php, asp or node? Or does it work by syncing the contents of a web browser with both players?

1 Like

Games are just an Internet page. Just HTML, CSS and Javascript No need of PHP/Node/ASP. Of course, you can use them but the communication with messenger is with Javascript. You can probably also uses VBScript or code an ActiveX but the easiest is to use JavaScript.

It’s simple, on each app, you send data to the other app with a function SendData and you receive data from the other app with a function Channel_OnDataReceived.

The documentation is still on Internet: Microsoft 365 documentation | Microsoft Learn

You can easily code an app and test it (just need two accounts): Microsoft 365 documentation | Microsoft Learn

You can download the files for the Tic Tac Toe: Tic_Tac_Toe_Classic_(10331358).zip (1.5 MB)

You can use jQuery 1.12 which is the last version to work with IE 7.

If you use the JK pacth ( Fixing Messenger's tabs to use the latest version of IE ), I think the version of IE will be different than 7 for games also.

6 Likes

Great job with the work on the games @tristanleboss :heart_exclamation:

2 Likes

we may now need an “Escargot: Activities & Games” Or Something at this rate!
PS: File Sharing Goes in the “Activities” Tab.

Yes, you’re right, I corrected that on my version after doing the screenshot. On 7.x, it will be in the Activities tab.

In 6.x, there is just one tab, so it will be in it with the games.

Some damages (missing pictures and missing texts) but they can be corrected.

Unfortunately, it will probably be the only MSN Games that I can recover.The other ones had been poorly saved on WayBack Archive.

2 Likes

@tristanleboss
open F12 and find out what the images are called, that may help to identfiy what it used to say.

missing js files is the reason why so many parts of games are broke, no one knows the orignal code…

Actually, the MSN Games were JS for messenger <> game communication logic + Flash file for UI + ActiveX for game logic + XML files for text (for multilanguage).

For Reversi, I have all of them (except the XML files but decompiling the flash file gave me the XML reading code so I found their structure). But for Checkers, I don’t have the JS file for example… for MineSweeper, I lack the Flashfile…

JS used for commands like “SendIM”?, it can be used for making entire games!, wow what a waste of a good (but frustrating) language.
“XML files for text”, well, thats microsoft’s way of saying “for text, you use OUR file format.”
ActiveX is just microsoft’s way of saying “hey develop in this language because we want u to develop in our formats”
.swf’s for UI… Well i was expecting 30 or so image files…

also just a standalone swf can make most of the game, while leaving messenger command to some JS file or something

Well if there are areas (pictures) that are completely gone (we can’t get them back) then we can make our own. And if you need help with that I’m in.

I will use screenshots because it’s just the “MSN Games” window border/buttons that are missing.

The game is intact because all the images were in the Flash file.

I hope that some people will be able to code new games… it’s super easy.

For Reversi, people will have to do the translation also. I will just do the French and English ones. But there is not a lot of strings to translate :wink:

you do realize that the SDK for the Interative Media is not on the ms website

Everything is here: Some progress regarding games - #11 by tristanleboss

no like the SDK Download, its gone…